Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:20 PM #76
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Well you carry on thinking its okay to mislead some young boys into thinking they will have periods (and misleading girls too) and I'll carry on thinking they shouldn't be misled by the bandwagon jumping Disney for publicity and more money money money.

Good day to you.
I guess it might have helped if they specified that transmen are actually women, which is why they can menstruate.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:27 PM #77

Quote:
I'm reminded of the reason I don't normally participate in these sort of discussions (or political ones etc.)
You have an opinion on one aspect alone (like the scene I see as misleading in this case) and you get lectures on how your opinion is completely wrong and what you should be focusing on instead and you must be anti - trans and anti - progressive yadda yadda yadda.
People can't have discussions anymore without OTT assumptions being thrown around.
Can't be arsed.

Which is why I dont bother on these issues. People get defensive and name call and cannot discuss respectfully.
....and Jet your point was completely valid and I totally agree. Young children today...let them be children...it must be so confusing for them.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:36 PM #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Which is why I dont bother on these issues. People get defensive and name call and cannot discuss respectfully.
....and Jet your point was completely valid and I totally agree. Young children today...let them be children...it must be so confusing for them.
Where is the disrespectful discussion? I have been respectful at all points. We cant all agree, but this has remained pretty respectful from all sides. I've not seen name calling at all.

My point is, it can be turned off but shouldn't be removed as sone parent's will feel it is an education opportunity to discuss trans issues with their children. Where is the harm?

Do we ban Emmerdale as Matty is trans and has discussed issues of gender realignment as that might be confusing as why does a man have breasts? Emmerdale is on pre watershed when most kids at watching tv?
Old 03-07-2022, 01:40 PM #79

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Thank you.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:43 PM #80
Adios

Adios

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I disagree with the cartoon being demonised for presenting real life scenarios that can and do happen.

As I said I am a parent of a similar aged child. I don't let him watch shows I feel are inappropriate, he doesn't have a tv in his room so I am aware of what he is watching and will talk to him about issues I think he needs to know or if I feel he shouldn't watch something. That is where I disagree. If kids are left to watch tv and don't understand or don't ask, that's not the shows fault. Its a parenting issue. Too many parents use the tv as a babysitter and then complain about the shows they're watching rather than explaining things to their kids
Spot on and an extension to what I said earlier about intelligent parents answering any question a child may have. It’s the way of the world no matter what the hateful and bigots want. Instead of hushing up the real world scenarios Disney should be applauded imo.

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:50 PM #81
You know my methods

You know my methods

Exclamation Disney proves woke capitalism isn’t as easy as it used to be

That we are even talking about Disney and politics in the same breath suggests
that damage has already been done. Disney’s brand has always rested on its
universality. When people watch Encanto or visit Disney World, it’s not because
they want to signal something about their political identity but because they
want to laugh, sigh, scream or weep.
Disney is not meant to be a participant in
the culture wars; it is meant to be a refuge from them.

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfi...oke-capitalism
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:59 PM #82
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Well actually periods is huge and most probably frightening for young people. You blow it out of massive context. It's someone going to purchase sanitary products....this makes young people curious and opens up debate with parents...in turn the child is less worried when the time comes. It's not flat out an episode with periods, how you menstruate, pictures of wombs... Adults probably wouldn't want to watch it because they already know about them.

Trans man and sanitary products are not just used for periods.

No the world is fecked up because of people's very narrow minded outlooks on life.

No it's not. You are blowing it out of context. Shall we wrap kids up on cotton wool?

The world is confusing. This is where the role of a parent and other adults come into play.

100% spot on!!

And here lies one of the problems. It's a children's programme and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Are these likely to be the same parents who would object to their children be taught about gays?

It just wraps children up in a bubble, unprepares them for the real world, makes them less open minded.

Please tell me what harm it does to show someone going into a store to buy sanitary products? Please tell me what the big fuss is about?

How is it not allowing kids to be kids?

Yeah I agree
Adults wouldn't want to watch it because it doesn't make for an entertaining episode, it doesn't matter how they dress the episode up, it just isn't an interesting episode idea.

Plus aren't Schools supposed to teach the older kids this stuff?

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:04 PM #83

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

Sorry, but if an adult refuses to watch a show because it talks about periods for a little bit then they just need to grow up
Old 03-07-2022, 02:06 PM #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Adults wouldn't want to watch it because it doesn't make for an entertaining episode, it doesn't matter how they dress the episode up, it just isn't an interesting episode idea.

When I was a kid, everyone read Judy Bloom books, one of them was about periods. Literally every girl I knew read it. Its a fact of life so while you may not find it interesting doesn't mean some won't find it interesting /educational.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:10 PM #85

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
For the China market. Good old Disney, claiming to be all about pride and diversity in the west, gay characters, edit most things relating to gay anything out of their films, and editing film posters so you can barely see the black characters in any of their films.

Translation, Disney couldn't give a toss about diversity, they're not lgbt whatsoever. If they think it can make them more money, they'll use it though.
God and I thought Japan was racist.

KRO!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:19 PM #86

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm reminded of the reason I don't normally participate in these sort of discussions (or political ones etc.)
You have an opinion on one aspect alone (like the scene I see as misleading in this case) and you get lectures on how your opinion is completely wrong and what you should be focusing on instead and you must be anti - trans and anti - progressive yadda yadda yadda.
People can't have discussions anymore without OTT assumptions being thrown around.
Can't be arsed.
Tbf it's a debates section of the Forum so people are gonna disagree with you on topics, it's natural with these threads.

KRO!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:27 PM #87

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Sorry, but if an adult refuses to watch a show because it talks about periods for a little bit then they just need to grow up
Let's be honest would anyone on here find an episode about periods entertaining? Don't forget TV Shows are suppose to entertain first and foremost before anything else, so would you want to watch an episode about someone buying sanitary products? That's not immature to say that's an extremely boring concept for an episode.

Everyone is talking about the Trans character, but ignoring that Disney thinks that buying sanitary products is an entertaining idea for an episode.

To me personally I wouldn't ban the episode like some people are suggesting as I don't support censorship, but I do question why Disney thought that someone buying sanitary products for an episode is entertaining.

KRO!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:29 PM #88

Quote:
Tbf it's a debates section of the Forum so people are gonna disagree with you on topics, it's natural with these threads.
Exactly. Just ridiculous.

You don't like an opposing opinion so you get the hump.

Get a grip.

Last edited by ThomasC; 03-07-2022 at 02:29 PM.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:31 PM #89

Quote:

It's not made for adults. I don't get your point?

It's not just schools. TV programmes can be fun but educationally. It's a multi-aspected approach that is needed. It's not just on schools to teach this.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:32 PM #90

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Let's be honest would anyone on here find an episode about periods entertaining? Don't forget TV Shows are suppose to entertain first and foremost before anything else, so would you want to watch an episode about someone buying sanitary products? That's not immature to say that's an extremely boring concept for an episode.

Everyone is talking about the Trans character, but ignoring that Disney thinks that buying sanitary products is an entertaining idea for an episode.

To me personally I wouldn't ban the episode like some people are suggesting as I don't support censorship, but I do question why Disney thought that someone buying sanitary products for an episode is entertaining.
The entire episode obviously isn’t about buying pads or tampons, it’s a tiny scene in a full episode and if the idea of watching a scene like that puts someone off of watching something then they seriously have issues
Old 03-07-2022, 02:32 PM #91

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
When I was a kid, everyone read Judy Bloom books, one of them was about periods. Literally every girl I knew read it. Its a fact of life so while you may not find it interesting doesn't mean some won't find it interesting /educational.
Fair enough.

I just don't get why TV/Streamers seem to have lost the art form of entertainment.

KRO!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:36 PM #92

Quote:

Everyone is focusing on the trans character, which you admit, but then ignore that there were 4 other people on that conversation making recommendations.

I haven't seen the whole episode, but I very highly doubt it was a whole episode on periods. It just happened to contain a segment that did.

How you can miss the point that this isn't aimed at adults so why would they find it entertaining? It's for children and it's a 1 minute clip
Old 03-07-2022, 02:38 PM #93

Quote:
Fair enough.

I just don't get why TV/Streamers seem to have lost the art form of entertainment.
Because of a 1 minute clip when the whole thing was probably 30 minutes long?
Old 03-07-2022, 02:40 PM #94

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's not made for adults. I don't get your point?

It's not just schools. TV programmes can be fun but educationally. It's a multi-aspected approach that is needed. It's not just on schools to teach this.
Because you said that adults wouldn't watch this type of episode because they already know the basics of the topic, so I responded with that most adults also wouldn't find it entertaining either.

And speaking for myself, when I was a kid I was into things like Spongebob, Phineas & Ferb, Sonic X, Grim Adventures Of Billy & Mandy, Horrid Henry & The Cramp Twins etc, none of them were busy trying to be uber realistic.

Now think back to your favourite children's Shows, did you like any kids Show that was about sanitary products or did you like the kids shows that made you laugh and had fun watching?

KRO!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:40 PM #95

Let's just put our heads in our laps and pretend that people don't have periods?

And then when the day comes that your child or children have them they can be really distressed because we didn't want to discuss it or see anything about it.

Ohh, and let's just leave it down to the schools to educate them. Not our business.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:43 PM #96
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Because you said that adults wouldn't watch this type of episode because they already know the basics of the topic,
You say that, but some people think men can have periods and women can have penises

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:43 PM #97

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Exactly. Just ridiculous.

You don't like an opposing opinion so you get the hump.

Get a grip.
Tbf I get that it's a topic that a lot of people get worked up over.

It's just Jet has to be prepared that there will be other people that will feel the same way on the other side of the debate.

KRO!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:45 PM #98

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
The entire episode obviously isn’t about buying pads or tampons, it’s a tiny scene in a full episode and if the idea of watching a scene like that puts someone off of watching something then they seriously have issues
It's a really boring sounding scene as well.

Admittedly though less intimidating than an entire episode like our beloved Netflix would go for.

KRO!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:47 PM #99

Quote:
Because you said that adults wouldn't watch this type of episode because they already know the basics of the topic, so I responded with that most adults also wouldn't find it entertaining either.

And speaking for myself, when I was a kid I was into things like Spongebob, Phineas & Ferb, Sonic X, Grim Adventures Of Billy & Mandy, Horrid Henry & The Cramp Twins etc, none of them were busy trying to be uber realistic.

Now think back to your favourite children's Shows, did you like any kids Show that was about sanitary products or did you like the kids shows that made you laugh and had fun watching?
No you said:

What child would want to watch an episode about Periods? In fact what adult would want to watch an episode about Periods?

And that's when I said well it's not aimed at adults yet you keep going on about adults finding it entertaining and even asking who of us on here would...which just not relevant as it's a children's programme....

Well, this isn't realistic either...it's a robot asking for recommendations which as I kid I would probably have found funny. The role that children's TV plays has changed somewhat over the years. I feel they are able to add in educational aspects whilst still making it fun... Mr Tumble springs to mind.....the wombles
...I can't think but there's loads, the one where they explain how stuff works and lots of them include maths for example... You are taking something massively out of context to try and say it's not entertaining when all we have seen is a 1 minute clip in which they're in a supermarket buying some sanitary products
Old 03-07-2022, 02:48 PM #100

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Everyone is focusing on the trans character, which you admit, but then ignore that there were 4 other people on that conversation making recommendations.

I haven't seen the whole episode, but I very highly doubt it was a whole episode on periods. It just happened to contain a segment that did.

How you can miss the point that this isn't aimed at adults so why would they find it entertaining? It's for children and it's a 1 minute clip
Would children find this content entertaining though?

Don't get me wrong it sounds better now that I know it's not an entire episode, but it's still one of those scenes that sounds like it'd be a really boring scene.

KRO!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
advice, creepy, disney, girl, man, offering, shows, transgender, woke