Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-11-2016, 12:45 PM #51
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Here is a short and succinct summary of what happens after you die and touches on before you are born

This chap is an American astrophysicist, cosmologist, author, and science communicator. Since 1996, he has been the Frederick P. Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Center for Earth and Space in New York City. The center is part of the American Museum of Natural History, where Tyson founded the Department of Astrophysics in 1997 and has been a research associate in the department since 2003.
Great video, he seems like a really interesting man

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:03 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
I have witnessed my own children when they were very young babies, and now my granddaughter, having 'Nightmares'.

It is accepted by the experts that children can have 'Night Terrors' from the age of one month, and that by the age of one year old, they can have 'Nightmares'.

I do not agree with their opinion on the difference between these two 'experiences', but for the purpose of this post, I will accept that the two mean different things.

My point is this; a baby who is but a few month's old has no life experience, no 'memories', and most certainly - though they are 'conscious' - are bereft of knowledge and not even 'aware' of their environment in the true sense of the word.

What is it then, that can cause a two month's old baby to scream or cry out and wake it from a deep sleep and leave it upset and frightened with heart racing and often sweat soaked - all the symptoms of having experienced a Nightmare.

I do not accept for one moment the 'experts' view that such 'Night Terrors' are caused by a conflict between the body's 'Drive' to sleep and its 'Drive' to wake – a condition which they call a 'Confusional Event' – or are probably caused by 'disorientation due to incomplete awakening'.

In my opinion – and some notable scientists – the baby is experiencing a nightmare.

This being so, I ask; what event, person or entity can so frighten a baby who has no life experience or awareness, and therefore NONE of it's own stored MEMORIES of such things?

A baby is hardly reliving REAL memories – like the time it was chased through a town centre by a mob of knife-wielding louts, or remembering in a deep sleep cycle, the time that Great Aunt Maude nearly caught it stealing a fiver from her handbag.

Nor has it the ABILITY or MEANS to imagine any 'Nightmare Scenario', when even the most vividly and bizarrely convoluted of imagined nightmares are either dependent upon the memories of REAL direct experiences (or 'autobiographic episodic memories') or indirect acquired knowledge for their existence.

So here we have a baby whose mind is a virtual 'Blank Canvas' experiencing SOMETHING which gives it nightmares.

There can be only be two possible explanations for such an enigma – Reincarnation or perhaps the baby's mind is unconsciously accessing SOMEONE ELSE'S memories.

As crazy as both the above may seem to my dear friend LT and some others on here, the evidence for Reincarnation is now so extensive that it cannot be easily dismissed, and there is also a growing field of scientific thought – which experimental conclusions support – that actual Memory does not simply reside within the brain, but is, instead, rather stored OUTSIDE of it in some type of 'electro magnetic field'.

Extensive research into 'Memory' has been carried out independently by numerous scientists over many decades, and some of the findings are surprising;

Celebrated psychologist and behaviourist,*Karl Lashley – one of the world's most respected 'Brain' experts – carried out an experiment on 'Lab Rats' in which he first taught the rats tricks before removing half of their brains.

The rats REMEMBERED the tricks.

Lashley then used another set of rats which he taught the same tricks to before removing the opposite hemisphere of the brain to the first set.

The rats STILL remembered the tricks.

It seems, that if memory is truly housed within the brain, then where exactly – when memory is still extant when the complete brain had been removed – is a great mystery.

I first came across controversial Biologist, Researcher, and Author, Rupert Sheldrake when I was a young 'dreamer' searching religion and philosophy for 'answers' to the 'meaning of life', and he actually proposed certain theories which not only made sense to me, but also 'crystallised' some of my own 'scrambed' thoughts.

Sheldrake has a theory – which he calls 'Morphic Resonance' – that memory need not be stored specifically or exclusively within the brain, but rather in a type of 'Morphogenic Field' (similar to Kirlian Light Auras) which surrounds an organism (the body AND brain in humans) and that each individual member of a species (not just humans or animal life) inherits a 'collective' memory from 'past members' of the species' who then adds his contribution to this collective memory through living his life, which is then 'drawn upon' by other members of the species in the future.

I have neither the time or inclination to expound upon this here, but I recommend giving Sheldrake a good read for those interested in this fascinating subject.

Anyway, Sheldrake's theories loosely parallel my own thoughts, and goes some way to explaining why people have very real 'memories' which are NOT their own, as well as the phenomena of 'ghosts' – if you think about it.

It can also explain why babies with no 'episodic memories' of their own can have nightmares.

Reincarnation is another post.
I just took a little stroll down memory-lane over the weekend and looked back at some of my old threads and I’ve got to say this post especially really struck me. I don’t know if you’re still an active member on here but if you are would you mind expounding on reincarnation at some point? I’d be very interested to hear your views on that.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:27 AM #53
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

In terms of the rat hemispheres experiment, in order to understand why they still remembered the tricks all you really need is an understanding of how RAID redundancies work for things like web servers.

Web servers have multiple hard drives that work in unison. All of the data is on both drives. If one drive dies or is removed completely, no data is lost because there's an exact copy on the twinned drive (or however many other drives are in the array).

So why could the rats remember no matter which half of the brain was removed? "Where" is the memory stored? Answer is simple enough: there's probably a copy of the memory on each hemisphere.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:33 AM #54
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

One thing that IS fascinating in terms of "past lives" though and something that we still know very, very little about is genetic memory which is quite fascinating really. Nothing is born a blank slate; even humans (pretty useless at birth), we still reflexively know how to breathe, swallow, seek out a nipple... even swim.

You can see it VERY clearly in other animals - many mammals can walk from birth, monkeys know how to cling to their parent. Spiders "know" how to construct extremely intricate webs, no practice required.

So there ARE elements of memory that are coded directly into genetic code before there's any physical structure at all to hold them, there's no question about that. How it works? Still mostly an unknown. IN THEORY could living memories be inherited from an ancestor? Who knows. It wouldn't be reincarnation of course, the memories wouldn't be from someone you "were" after they died, they'd be a copy of who they were at the point of passing on their DNA, if such things are possible at all. That I suppose would be indistinguishable from actually "being that person in another life". You might just be borrowing a snippet of a great-great-great-grandparents memory.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:45 PM #55

We have a granddaughter who’s just six years old and has been adamant for the last 3 years that she was born and lived in Ireland when she was younger ( she hasn’t of course )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:58 PM #56
You know my methods

You know my methods

#cod science
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:04 PM #57

Quote:
#cod science
Yeah, okay. Whatever floats your boat.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:05 PM #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
One thing that IS fascinating in terms of "past lives" though and something that we still know very, very little about is genetic memory which is quite fascinating really. Nothing is born a blank slate; even humans (pretty useless at birth), we still reflexively know how to breathe, swallow, seek out a nipple... even swim.

You can see it VERY clearly in other animals - many mammals can walk from birth, monkeys know how to cling to their parent. Spiders "know" how to construct extremely intricate webs, no practice required.

So there ARE elements of memory that are coded directly into genetic code before there's any physical structure at all to hold them, there's no question about that. How it works? Still mostly an unknown. IN THEORY could living memories be inherited from an ancestor? Who knows. It wouldn't be reincarnation of course, the memories wouldn't be from someone you "were" after they died, they'd be a copy of who they were at the point of passing on their DNA, if such things are possible at all. That I suppose would be indistinguishable from actually "being that person in another life". You might just be borrowing a snippet of a great-great-great-grandparents memory.
Listen, Soldier Boy (your posts are very interesting, by the way), do we know you from somewhere?

Old 05-12-2022, 08:07 PM #59

^
Pardon my ignorance but are you actually Toy Soldier 2.0 and if so, what happened to your original account?

Old 05-12-2022, 08:17 PM #60
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

One of those rare occasions i agree with LT. Not even nightmares can change my mind on this
Old 05-12-2022, 08:20 PM #61
You know my methods

You know my methods

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Yeah, okay. Whatever floats your boat.
boats float due to science

they dont sink and come back as Louis the 14th
Old 05-12-2022, 08:21 PM #62
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
One of those rare occasions i agree with LT. Not even nightmares can change my mind on this
Old 05-12-2022, 10:11 PM #63

Quote:
boats float due to science

they dont sink and come back as Louis the 14th
Wow what a buoyantly-versed chap you are.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:15 PM #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
We have a granddaughter who’s just six years old and has been adamant for the last 3 years that she was born and lived in Ireland when she was younger ( she hasn’t of course )

Does anyone from either line of her family have Irish blood?

Old 05-12-2022, 10:29 PM #65

Default Life before birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Does anyone from either line of her family have Irish blood?

Yep half Italian / Irish father but he ‘identifies’ as Italian as do all his family .. the Irish aspect is rarely mentioned ..

Strange … as she will see something like a landscape on telly and say ‘that reminds me of when I lived in Ireland … or eat something and say a similar thing ..

I should reiterate that I don’t believe any kind of hocus pocus .. UFOs or conspiracy theories ..

Last edited by Zizu; 05-12-2022 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:22 AM #66
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

The brain is something i've had to learn a lot more about over the last year and we are literally scratching the surface in terms of understanding how it operates.

The thing is, if you have a false memory, you have no method of distinguishing it from any other memory that you have, its just a memory that happens to be wrong. False memories can be triggered by a variety of things and you would never know that you had it because you 100% believe it happened. It's true that our brains have a certain capacity for checks and balances so that we can deduce by logic that something may not be correct, but we can never know for sure
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:39 AM #67
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post

Interesting stuff, a good argument for religion perhaps
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:43 AM #68
You know my methods

You know my methods

Development evolving:The origins and meanings of instinct

Every complex behavior challenges us to identify its origins. How do birds know
to migrate south for the winter? How do border collies know to herd sheep?
How do sea turtles find their way back home to the beach on which they
hatched?

for example:
Gilbert Gottlieb spent much of his career investigating another form of
imprinting— auditory imprinting—in which newly hatched chicks and
ducklings are attracted to the mother's call8. Because the behavior of
hatchlings seemed to be expressed without any obvious experience with the
mother or her call, this adaptive behavior was thought to be an instinct.
However, Gottlieb pursued this question in a way that no one else had before
him by asking whether embryos obtain critical experiences while still in the
egg. Amazingly, he found that they do: Embryos vocalize from within the
egg, and these vocalizations shape the development of the auditory system
in a way that is critical for their post-hatching attraction to the mother's call.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ces7%E2%80%939.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:00 AM #69
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

There are also tens of millions of years of evolution to take into account, so even a function like hiccups is believed to be from a time when our ancestors had gills.The answers will be found in biology, not metaphysics.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:10 AM #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The brain is something i've had to learn a lot more about over the last year and we are literally scratching the surface in terms of understanding how it operates.

The thing is, if you have a false memory, you have no method of distinguishing it from any other memory that you have, its just a memory that happens to be wrong. False memories can be triggered by a variety of things and you would never know that you had it because you 100% believe it happened. It's true that our brains have a certain capacity for checks and balances so that we can deduce by logic that something may not be correct, but we can never know for sure

The odd thing is she has no concept of what a country is or a what a different country is ..

Very strange

Old 06-12-2022, 10:22 AM #71
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Before birth?

Blud life begins at inception x

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:24 AM #72
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

Last night I watched My dead body.on channel 4.
It was a lot to take in and it made me think about life in general.
The brain really is so complex, we still don't know everything about it.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:26 AM #73
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Last night I watched My dead body.on channel 4.
It was a lot to take in and it made me think about life in general.
The brain really is so complex, we still don't know everything about it.
Bruh

Old 06-12-2022, 10:29 AM #74
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Bruh

Love that movie

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:29 AM #75
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post