Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:25 PM #76

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
The Voice: Jermain Jackman

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
You've just completely lost any hope of winning this debate with that response alone.

Kids playing violent games isn't an issue, everyone I knew growing up played Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem, GTA and all sorts and it hasn't affected me or (as far as I know) anyone else I know because we all knew it was fiction and wasn't reflective on real life and that's the same for millions of people like me who were allowed to play violent games and such when they were kids. There's something fundamentally wrong with the psychopaths that commit these crimes and whether or not they played Call of Duty has nothing to do with it because they'd still have that psychological damage even if they never touhed a games console.
There's nothing to win.

An innocent woman was murdered.

Some people are allergic to pennicillin, some.

Some people can't eat gluten, some.

Just maybe some children may be sensitive or have underlying mental health problems/depression that hasn't been picked up and the catalyst for their violent outburst can be related to their violent games, not all children, some.

We don't know as parents what children we have been blessed with, that's why it's important as parents to do our best.

And your argument of violent games were ok for you, they may not be ok for others.

I can eat peanuts, but they could kill my daughter, genetically we are all different, and one rule does not apply for all.
rubymoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:26 PM #77
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Chucky was said to be a factor in the James Bulger murder Niamh,the blue paint ,batteries and railway tracks.
So it's possible that they used the film as inspiration then? Would they not have been little psychopathic murdering ***** had they never seen the film? I think they would personally. What do you think?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 PM #78

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamPRW View Post
well done, you found some cases which relate to games in someway.. but i hate to break it to you, in a lot of the cases you posted, the people involved obviously had underlying issues that lead them to their crime or action, none of them went out and did this just because of playing a game for a few days, that's a ridiculous notion.

Patronizing and condescending.

Your views on things are different from others, you're clearly one of those people who wants kids to be wrapped up in cotton wool and shield them from anything that could possibly be offensive.. a 3 year old watching someone play a game, is not going to turn them into a bad kid or a bad teenager, so you telling people what they 'should' be teaching their kids, is a blatant show of looking down at someone else's parenting.

How do you know the outcome? Research shows that violent images desensitize children and as a result they have less empathy with others, as well as anger issues.

So what if a child sees someone playing a video game made for over 18's? who cares, by the time they're 13, they'd have probably seen much worse on the Tv anyway.

I seriously hope not.

Kids Tv is hardly rainbows and glitter anyway, look at Tom and Jerry or Scooby-doo.. one is violent and the other is potentially scary, should we ban all kids from watching those too?
You're kidding right????
Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 PM #79
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubymoo View Post
There's nothing to win.

Just maybe some children may be sensitive or have underlying mental health problems/depression that hasn't been picked up and the catalyst for their violent outburst can be related to their violent games, not all children, some.

We don't know as parents what children we have been blessed with, that's why it's important as parents to do our best.

And your argument of violent games were ok for you, they may not be ok for others.

I can eat peanuts, but they could kill my daughter, genetically we are all different, and one rule does not apply for all.
Comparing games to allergies is flawed. An allergy cannot kill you if you're not exposed to it yet psychopaths can snap regardless of what triggers they have or have not been exposed to.

Being aware of the signs is a much more effective tool of prevention then blindly blaming games for these crimes. I can't remember the last time there's been an incident like this where there hasn't been signs ahead of time. There's always messages or a change in behavior or something, we just need to raise awareness of it and get people to act (appropriately) when they see troubling signs instead of just ignoring it.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 PM #80
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
So it's possible that they used the film as inspiration then? Would they not have been little psychopathic murdering ***** had they never seen the film? I think they would personally. What do you think?
They'd have done it regardless, they were psychopaths and watching or film or not wouldn't have stopped them from eventually killing someone.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM #81

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Quote:
You're kidding right????
No I'm not kidding.. i don't see what was patronising about that at all
Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM #82

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Comparing games to allergies is flawed. An allergy cannot kill you if you're not exposed to it yet psychopaths can snap regardless of what triggers they have or have not been exposed to.

Being aware of the signs is a much more effective tool of prevention then blindly blaming games for these crimes. I can't remember the last time there's been an incident like this where there hasn't been signs ahead of time. There's always messages or a change in behavior or something, we just need to raise awareness of it and get people to act (appropriately) when they see troubling signs instead of just ignoring it.
Ok i give this as an example, someone i know is schizophrenic, he heard voices telling him to hurt other people, he is now in his 50's, imagine if he'd been a teenager right now, playing violent games, could the games have triggered him to be violent? I think so, but because he was brought up in a different era, he didn't hurt anyone.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM #83

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamPRW View Post
No I'm not kidding.. i don't see what was patronising about that at all
The top line where you say well done....
Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM #84
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

It's weird that his parents didn't puck up on his odd behavior.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM #85
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

I wouldn't go so far as to say that these hypotheses were all true and absolutely certain The thing is they might not have taken 'inspiration' from GTA, or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or Manhunt, or whatever. They could've just as easily taken it from something else. That's precisely the point, these are people influenced by anything - 99.99999% of those who've watched Pulp Fiction don't go out and go all Oscar Pistorious on their toilet doors.

If there were one thing about the media that I would argue is damaging to those of a vaguely psychopathic or murderous leaning, it's the constant iconising of serial killers, school shooters and the like. There must be something in the infamy, the 100% attention on the perpetrator, the sort of 'antihero' status they receive, that's quite alluring to the darker sides of young people. Little to no attention is given to the victims - especially of school shootings/stabbings. I find that sad.

Is this actually what Maguire's death is being blamed on or just a general discussion on violent media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM #86
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I'm not convinced that violent games and films are to blame. I think he killed because he is a murdering, psychotic... I want to say 'animal ' but animals don't behave that way. Something was always going to be a trigger, I'm convinced that if he had never played a game nor seen a film he would still have been a murderer. The vast majority of people can tell right from wrong, good from bad and most importantly, fact from fiction. It takes a special kind of nut case to take what he sees on the screen and think he might re-enact it.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 PM #87
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

He's messed up. Forget 20 years minimum, he needs at least fifty.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 PM #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
It's weird that his parents didn't puck up on his odd behavior.

But they would have no idea.
He took the Kitchen Knife's
on the day
showing his mates in school
before he sneaked up behind her
fecking coward

A Kitchen Knife
not the one he used
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 PM #89
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm not convinced that violent games and films are to blame. I think he killed because he is a murdering, psychotic... I want to say 'animal ' but animals don't behave that way. Something was always going to be a trigger, I'm convinced that if he had never played a game nor seen a film he would still have been a murderer. The vast majority of people can tell right from wrong, good from bad and most importantly, fact from fiction. It takes a special kind of nut case to take what he sees on the screen and think he might re-enact it.
To add to that from what the reports say he'd been obsessed with this teacher for 3 years prior to having killed her. Was he playing these games at 12? And even if he was, being obsessed like he seemed to be with this woman and his hatred for her doesn't really fit in with copying the plot of Grand theft Auto or whichever game he was playing, does it?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:54 PM #90
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Ok i give this as an example, someone i know is schizophrenic, he heard voices telling him to hurt other people, he is now in his 50's, imagine if he'd been a teenager right now, playing violent games, could the games have triggered him to be violent? I think so, but because he was brought up in a different era, he didn't hurt anyone.
This post contradicts your last post.

Quote:
There's nothing to win.

Why is your schizophrenic friend a good example of your own argument when you've rejected my own example of the hundreds of people I've known to play games for a young age yet have never shown any signs of wanting to murder people?

Also your post really doesn't make sense, do you not think there was psychopaths or murder before 1990 or something? Was Myra Hyndley a time traveler that only killed because she played GTA? Murderers have always existed, psychopaths have always existed, triggers have always existed. Throughout the past century in particular various books, films and games have been banned because they were attributed with causing violent crimes yet banning them never decreased the amount of violent incidents that occurred afterwards. Blaming games (or any other outside 'factor') is a distraction. Blaming games just diverts attention away from the REAL issues at hand.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:54 PM #91
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM #92
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
To add to that from what the reports say he'd been obsessed with this teacher for 3 years prior to having killed her. Was he playing these games at 12? And even if he was, being obsessed like he seemed to be with this woman and his hatred for her doesn't really fit in with copying the plot of Grand theft Auto or whichever game he was playing, does it?
Quite.

There is nothing wrong with this young man that a hypodermic full of bleach wouldn't cure.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM #93
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I totally agree with Dezzy, I don't think it's so much what a child watches or what they play/video games etc..it's how that child will interpret and process... and that would be the same with anything/any information or in how they see others around them...just how they process and interpret behaviour etc...I also agree that 'reading' behaviours early in a child's life and them getting the right help is all important and maybe could 'prevent'..through helping them to understand and help control... but sadly I also know the reality is that in too many cases, these children are badly let down through lack of resources....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM #94

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Aged 3

Very impressionable age, it's the age where you should be teaching, morals, which GTA has none of......good luck with him when he's a teen, i only hope you remember your post when the **** hits the fan.
I do teach him morals,He knows right from wrong and he knows that anything on the telly is not real.He's a happy kid and interacts with other kids brilliantly,He helps them and shares his toys,sweets or anything he has and is always smiling.He helps us look after his little brother and loves him to bits.He is disciplined when he does anything naughty and knows what is bad.Oh yeah,He watched The Walking Dead once too and thought it was hilarious.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM #95

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I give up.....

I know i'm not alone in thinking the way i do.

Off to make tea.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 PM #96
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I give up.....

Off to make tea.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:19 PM #97

Quote:
I give up.....

Off to make tea.
Of Course loads of Folks
are in the wrong
in one go

Off to have a Quality Tea with a kick
Kenya tea

Last edited by arista; 04-11-2014 at 03:32 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 PM #98

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Yes,I don't fully go with the 'Chucky' excuse in this case Niamh,they set out to kill a child and they did,they may have gotten a few ideas,but I do think it was an easy cop out by some people to blame the film,those little bastards didn't need a film ,they would have done what they did without any influence imo anyway.Those little fekkers were in a league of their own.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"

Last edited by Kazanne; 04-11-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 PM #99
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Yes,I don't fully go with the 'Chucky' excuse in this case Niamh,they set out to kill a child and they did,they may have gotten a few ideas,but I do think it was an easy cop out by some people to blame the film,those little bastards didn't need a film ,they would have done what they did without any influence imo anyway.Those little fekkers were in a league of their own.
Oh I am not going to get started on the vile horrendous murder of young Jamie, bless him.
Those 2 were just rotten, they did things to him that weren't in films,they tortured that poor lad sickeningly.
They were pure evil inside,I doubt anything from outside had that much influence.

As to this murder of this Teacher,I just cannot get my head around that one either.
Just sick, really sick.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 PM #100
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Murder is as old as humanity, incidents like this have always happened and they'll continue to happen through no fault of games or the media.

Desensitisation only serves to create scapegoats for killers. You could ban every potential trigger for killers in the world and they'll still eventually kill. People like the boy in this story are ticking timebombs, instead of blaming irrelevant things like games we should focus on prevention and raising awareness of the signs of a potential killer as no psychopath ever just snaps, there are always signs people just need to be more aware of them and take them seriously.
I didn't suggest it was the only factor, just one factor.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ann, boy, killer, maguire, murders, planned