Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #26
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,215

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Good luck to them then. I still don't think they'll be successful.
Well, the accusations are there everyone to see, he did it and he has no defence for it
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #27
Ammi
Quand il pleut, il pleut
 
Ammi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: on Blueberry Hill
Posts: 53,858


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Katie Hopkins was bankrupted in a defamation suit for falsely accusing someone of a crime
..yeah, I do think that Laurence Fox is playing a dangerous game atm...it can be played for a while in ‘feeding off prejudice’ but it’s not a game that gives any wins in the end, as it hasn’t for Katie...it’s a very ‘short game’, I think and it may make him unemployable or much less employable etc...
__________________



Paris is always a good idea...
Ammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #28
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,215

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Good.

On twitter?
It was on a public forum on the internet yes, I think it was Twitter, but whether it was or not is slightly irrelevant in these cases
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #29
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 43,388

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Good, I hope they take everything that failed actor has.

Libel is libel, if you call someone a peadophile as a random retort and that post is likely to be seen by a lot of people then it can cause damage by people who will take it at face value and anyone who follows that twat probably is gullible enough to believe everything he says.

Calling two well known LGBT activists peadophiles with no reason or rhyme to it is pure homophobia. There's no downplaying this as some spat on Social Media.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #30
Swan
Senior Member
 
Swan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
Recent events have made it clear that a false and defamatory statement posted on Twitter or in a blog is not immune from legal action. If a tweet or blog post is defamatory, untrue and cannot be defended, the maker of the statement can be liable for defamation and for substantial damages.

https://www.taylorwessing.com/downlo...ial_media.html


...there are lots more articles, Swan ...but that one was the top of the page when I googled...

...I mean, it just make sense to me that Twitter can’t give ‘immunity’ to lawsuit...
I'll read that in a second. Im not saying it should give immunity, im saying the sheer number of insults/false accusations posted on twitter everyday will make it hard for anyone to be successful when suing. It'll will have a knock on effect that no system, civil, legal or otherwise will be able to cope with.
__________________
"You will continue to suffer if you have an emotional reaction to everything that is said to you. True power is sitting back and observing everything with logic. If words control you that means everyone else can control you. Breathe and allow things to pass." - Bruce Lee
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #31
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,684

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I'll read that in a second. Im not saying it should give immunity, im saying the sheer number of insults/false accusations posted on twitter everyday will make it hard for anyone to be successful when suing. It'll will have a knock on effect that no system, civil, legal or otherwise will be able to cope with.
all it needs is a couple of high profile successful cases before people understand that they are not free to write anything they feel like without consequence
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #32
Shaun
ooo
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 105,368
Blog Entries: 17

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
IAC2019: Ian Wright
X Factor Celebrity: V5
Strictly 2019: Dev Griffin


Default

I think there's a pretty distinct line between being called a racist and a paedophile. One is a crime and the other is not; implying someone is a paedophile is literally accusing them of crimes they have not committed. There was a recent case with Justin Bieber I think, where he sued two women who made up allegations (on Twitter) that he had raped them, and I believe that was successful. Being called a racist is unpleasant (if you aren't one, anyway, so that doesn't apply here) but it isn't false witness.
__________________
Season 13 Faves: Symone, Tamisha, Gottmik, Tina, Kahmora & Lala
UK S2 Faves: Tayce, Lawrence, Bimini, Cherry & Ellie

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch The Bolt Cutters View Post
What kind of ugly scum?

Last edited by Shaun; 07-10-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: forgot the "on twitter" part for the Bieber analogy
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #33
Ammi
Quand il pleut, il pleut
 
Ammi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: on Blueberry Hill
Posts: 53,858


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I'll read that in a second. Im not saying it should give immunity, im saying the sheer number of insults/false accusations posted on twitter everyday will make it hard for anyone to be successful when suing. It'll will have a knock on effect that no system, civil, legal or otherwise will be able to cope with.
...it was only two tweets that more or less cost Kate Hopkins her hues and bankrupted her...but yeah I mean, social media’s like Twitter or huge for abuse and now libel it would seem is the way it’s going...so if the system isn’t able to cope...?..then it would have to be expanded to enable it to cope because things like this can’t be not acted on...
__________________



Paris is always a good idea...
Ammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #34
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 43,388

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I'll read that in a second. Im not saying it should give immunity, im saying the sheer number of insults/false accusations posted on twitter everyday will make it hard for anyone to be successful when suing. It'll will have a knock on effect that no system, civil, legal or otherwise will be able to cope with.
You're being quite gross here with your downplaying. This wasn't some trading of insults, Crystal isn't suing because that flop called her a dickhead. She's suing because he accused her and another prominent LGBT voice of being peadophiles based on nothing but their sexuality. That's not an insult, that's an accusation and a both a grave and false one at that.

The system isn't going to collapse because a flop actor will be made to face the consequences of his actions.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #35
Ammi
Quand il pleut, il pleut
 
Ammi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: on Blueberry Hill
Posts: 53,858


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
all it needs is a couple of high profile successful cases before people understand that they are not free to write anything they feel like without consequence
...yeah, and I think that, that’s the one ‘good’ that Katie Hopkins has done...it took a while for her...but I think now..?...lawsuits will be auctioned more quickly if applicable...
__________________



Paris is always a good idea...
Ammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #36
Swan
Senior Member
 
Swan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
You're being quite gross here with your downplaying. This wasn't some trading of insults, Crystal isn't suing because that flop called her a dickhead. She's suing because he accused her and another prominent LGBT voice of being peadophiles based on nothing but their sexuality. That's not an insult, that's an accusation and a both a grave and false one at that.

The system isn't going to collapse because a flop actor will be made to face the consequences of his actions.
I've said 'false accusations' twice now, did you miss that part?

Also, you are literally missing my whole point here, as usual.
__________________
"You will continue to suffer if you have an emotional reaction to everything that is said to you. True power is sitting back and observing everything with logic. If words control you that means everyone else can control you. Breathe and allow things to pass." - Bruce Lee
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #37
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,215

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Let’s not forget Cliff Richard suing the dicks off of the British media and police for what happened to him
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #38
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 10,082

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

What did his tweets actually say? Was it something like "a load of paedos are moaning at me" or did he directly call those two people paedos?
__________________


Some of my favourite comicbook pages! Click on it to see them bigger!! The theme is "inspiration" ... sort of
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #39
Mitchell
White supremacy is vile x
 
Mitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: #TeamDezzy
Posts: 12,044
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
BBUSA22: Janelle
DOI 2020: Trisha Goddard
IAC2019: Caitlyn Jenner


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
What did his tweets actually say? Was it something like "a load of paedos are moaning at me" or did he directly call those two people paedos?
He quoted their tweets and directly called them paedophiles.
__________________
TiBB On Ice 4 Week Five now up!
Ammi, AnnieK, Barry,Black Dagger, Denver,Dogeatdog, Kate, Lewismacfarlane, Matthew, Nicky91, Slim Reaper, Strictly Jake, Wizard

Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #40
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,215

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
What did his tweets actually say? Was it something like "a load of paedos are moaning at me" or did he directly call those two people paedos?
Directly
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #41
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 10,082

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
He quoted their tweets and directly called them paedophiles.
oops, then yeah, sue him.
__________________


Some of my favourite comicbook pages! Click on it to see them bigger!! The theme is "inspiration" ... sort of
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #42
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 43,388

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I've said 'false accusations' twice now, did you miss that part?

Also, you are literally missing my whole point here, as usual.
Your point is quite basic, it's not difficult to grasp.

It doesn't matter that you mentioned false accusations out of obligation because you've downplayed these accusations of insults by being all like 'But if everyone sues each other over insults, the system will collapse1!!11!'

Falsely accusing someone of a crime is punishable by civil law and has been for decades, the system hasn't crashed and burned yet because most people don't go around accusing people of being peadophiles, and it won't crash and burn if Crystal gets her justice. It's all just hysteria on your part in an attempt to talk down what is a valid case.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #43
Braden
Too glam to give a damn
 
Braden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,400


Default

It really was such a stupid retaliation on his part.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #44
Swan
Senior Member
 
Swan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Your point is quite basic, it's not difficult to grasp.

It doesn't matter that you mentioned false accusations out of obligation because you've downplayed these accusations of insults by being all like 'But if everyone sues each other over insults, the system will collapse1!!11!'

Falsely accusing someone of a crime is punishable by civil law and has been for decades, the system hasn't crashed and burned yet because most people don't go around accusing people of being peadophiles, and it won't crash and burn if Crystal gets her justice. It's all just hysteria on your part in an attempt to talk down what is a valid case.
It's a lot more complex than that, as i've stated.

1. He's wrong - Yes
2. He should get sued - Yes
3. They should win - Yes

Im just stating it won't be that easy, considering twitter is a cesspool for 'false accusations' every day.

But you're arguing something i agree with you on, so don't see the point in continuing debating because it'll go nowhere.

There's a bigger picture here, just because i choose to look at this from every angle doesn't mean im downplaying anything.
__________________
"You will continue to suffer if you have an emotional reaction to everything that is said to you. True power is sitting back and observing everything with logic. If words control you that means everyone else can control you. Breathe and allow things to pass." - Bruce Lee
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #45
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 10,082

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
It's a lot more complex than that, as i've stated.

1. He's wrong - Yes
2. He should get sued - Yes
3. They should win - Yes

Im just stating it won't be that easy, considering twitter is a cesspool for 'false accusations' every day.

But you're arguing something i agree with you on, so don't see the point in continuing debating because it'll go nowhere.

There's a bigger picture here, just because i choose to look at this from every angle doesn't mean im downplaying anything.
Gays are a protected group, so the false accusation will probably have more weight though.
__________________


Some of my favourite comicbook pages! Click on it to see them bigger!! The theme is "inspiration" ... sort of
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #46
LeatherTrumpet
sick of it
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 70,056


Default

Another day another extreme left abomination, like trump must die
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:36 PM   #47
UserSince2005
UserSince2005
 
UserSince2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,308

Favourites:
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
BB10: Noirin
Default

They should just **** and make up. Laurence is defo a bottom.
__________________
-Working towards a friendlier TIBB
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:38 PM   #48
DouglasS
Who, me?
 
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 6,534

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Good, I hope they take everything that failed actor has.

Libel is libel, if you call someone a peadophile as a random retort and that post is likely to be seen by a lot of people then it can cause damage by people who will take it at face value and anyone who follows that twat probably is gullible enough to believe everything he says.

Calling two well known LGBT activists peadophiles with no reason or rhyme to it is pure homophobia. There's no downplaying this as some spat on Social Media.
I mean he’s not a failed actor? He was acting for multiple decades in a popular Tv show as a main character, as well as in one or two Hollywood movies.

Just don’t see why because he is racist his past successes are now regarded as failures


I also think suing people over tweets and insults is extremely childish and exactly the ‘woke’ culture he is talking about. Normal people just brush it off and know it’s someone clutching at straws when they’re insulting them.

Everyone has been insulted or called something malicilously or as a joke before. ActualMy suing someone is pretty pathetic and a waste of other peoples time imo

Last edited by DouglasS; 07-10-2020 at 11:40 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #49
DouglasS
Who, me?
 
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 6,534

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Your point is quite basic, it's not difficult to grasp.

It doesn't matter that you mentioned false accusations out of obligation because you've downplayed these accusations of insults by being all like 'But if everyone sues each other over insults, the system will collapse1!!11!'

Falsely accusing someone of a crime is punishable by civil law and has been for decades, the system hasn't crashed and burned yet because most people don't go around accusing people of being peadophiles, and it won't crash and burn if Crystal gets her justice. It's all just hysteria on your part in an attempt to talk down what is a valid case.
This crystal just seems butt hurt and a massive attention seeker tbh

Swan is clearly saying that probably hundreds of people a day on Twitter are accused of things or called a paedo when they are not as an insult. All these hundreds of people just ignore it and block it, or laugh it off...

Since when has the nation Been filled with baby snowflakes that cry at any insult (even if it is defamation) and go to the law/civil case

Last edited by DouglasS; 07-10-2020 at 11:43 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:24 AM   #50
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 10,082

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
This crystal just seems butt hurt and a massive attention seeker tbh
He got called a paedo, that's piss most people off. And of course he's an attention seeker, he's a drag queen lol
__________________


Some of my favourite comicbook pages! Click on it to see them bigger!! The theme is "inspiration" ... sort of
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
boss, charity, comments, drag, fox, laurence, paedophile, race, star, sued

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:51 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts