Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Discriminated
Race 9 20.00%
Race
9 20.00%
Nationality 7 15.56%
Nationality
7 15.56%
Sex 11 24.44%
Sex
11 24.44%
Gender 11 24.44%
Sexuality 14 31.11%
Sexuality
14 31.11%
Religion 4 8.89%
Religion
4 8.89%
Disability 7 15.56%
Disability
7 15.56%
Physical appearance 10 22.22%
Physical appearance
10 22.22%
Class 6 13.33%
Class
6 13.33%
Occupation 5 11.11%
Occupation
5 11.11%
Other 4 8.89%
Other
4 8.89%
None 9 20.00%
None
9 20.00%
Age 6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-07-2018, 11:56 PM #126
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

Skin colour is the 1st think g you get discriminated upon

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:59 PM #127

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
Skin colour is the 1st think g you get discriminated upon
Well I would enlarge on that and say physical appearance because how someone looks has immediate impact on others in many ways.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 23-07-2018 at 12:04 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 01:05 AM #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic. View Post
I used to have friends who frequently called me 'retard' 'special needs' in derogatory manners purely for my dyspraxia and autism. I was kind of stuck because it was like an abusive relationship I couldn't get out of. Then I punched them

Every problem has the CORRECT solution - and THIS was this one's. Well done, Epic.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 23-07-2018 at 01:26 AM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 06:25 AM #129
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
This is simply a narrative that you are creating and attributing to me in order to warp what I'm saying instead of arguing against it.

I've never said that it's a competition either? I think you must have either confused my post for someone else's or you are simply reading into something that isn't there. Honestly, I don't really understand the point you are trying to make in relation to what I've said.

My points where very simple, I've experienced more discrimination when people believe me to be gay then if they believe me to be straight and that, in the western world, it's not really possible for white people to face the same issues of racism that say, a black person faces. I've never been discriminated on account of being a white person. I've also never been discriminated against when it comes to being a man, the only times it's come up is in conjunction with my sexuality.

I don't really understand how you got anything regarding a competition from that, I truly don't.

Going back to your examples, a straight white man in a mixed race relationship is not an example of sexual discrimination but of racism and it's ore often because people think the woman is not 'good enough' on accounts of her race. People aren't hating on that man because he is straight so to make out that he is being discriminated on account of his sexuality is just false. I think your point about Asian families is quite a broad stroke of a remark that is dated and not at all true for everyone. It's basically promoting a stereotype as the truth.

I didn't comment on this 'traveller thread' because I was probably busy doing something else. I don't see every thread, shockingly enough.
I'm not on this forum 24/7. No one needs to comment on any thread to have their opinion validated in this thread in anyway. What you are doing with that is basically denying people their opinions unless they fulfill your quota and that's quite frankly bull****.
I didn't ask why you didn't comment on the traveller thread when it was going on, and if you didn't see it at the time I find that quite strange as you might not be on every day but that particular thread was bumped on more than one occasion, I asked why you didn't comment as part of this thread, as I posted it on here as it is relevant to the topic that white people cannot be discriminated against which you are going at some lengths to deny, I also note you didn't comment on my personal experience, but I guess I am the wrong colour for outrage..right?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 06:52 AM #130
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

There's a lot of gaslighting that goes on in this section when sensitive topics are brought up, so yeah.. it's going to make it seem like people "buddy up" in order to take charge of the situation, when really it is mutual discomfort in seeing other people in such a common position... people themselves really hate being gaslit... like in our culture we do not handle this well at all... and this is so incredibly common on social media/online in general, so we are all familiar with that form of emotional manipulation from personal experience...

It is also the single worst debate "tactic" that we use, to gaslit someone into taking on a particular stance that wasn't their proposition and then raining projections onto them as they try to deconstruct the prior ones... so yeah, it leads to some unnecessarily ridiculous exchanges between folk imo when maybe refraining from fighting on those grounds entirely would better "level" the discussion(s)... people are allowed to disagree, of course, but when it is implied by either other party that their resolving to disagree is meant to be the perfect illusion, and here's the bait&switch that is proof they are the ones who are the actual oppressor of the thread, then we've already entered that territory... like crazy narcissist territory.

For me the obvious clue is when someone basically says, "Ok here's my version of facts, and here with it I attached my emotional résumé on the subject"... usually a huge red flag for me the debate will be nothing but endless u-turns based on wide-reaching emotional arguments (i.e. subjective truth(s)). We're not only debating what facts are now, we're forced to resort to fighting other people's personal demons on their behalf, and then told they are far too powerful and cannot be killed without specially designed weapons... it's like a bad JRPG, man.

Last edited by Maru; 23-07-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 06:56 AM #131
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
There's a lot of gaslighting that goes on in this section when sensitive topics are brought up, so yeah.. it's going to make it seem like people "buddy up" in order to take charge of the situation, when really it is mutual discomfort in seeing other people in such a common position... people themselves really hate being gaslit... like in our culture we do not handle this well at all... and this is so incredibly common on social media/online in general, so we are all familiar with that form of emotional manipulation from personal experience...

It is also the single worst debate "tactic" that we use, to gaslit someone into taking on a particular stance that wasn't their proposition and then raining projections onto them as they try to deconstruct the prior ones... so yeah, it leads to some unnecessarily ridiculous exchanges between folk imo when maybe refraining from fighting on those grounds entirely would better "level" the discussion(s)... people are allowed to disagree, of course, but when it is implied by either other party that their resolving to disagree is meant to be the perfect illusion, and here's the bait&switch that is proof they are the ones who are the actual oppressor of the thread, then we've already entered that territory... like crazy narcissist territory.

For me the obvious clue is when they basically say, "Ok here's my version of facts, and here with it I attached my emotional résumé on the subject"... usually a huge red flag for me the debate will be nothing but endless u-turns based on wide-reaching emotional arguments (i.e. subjective truth(s). We're not only debating what facts are now, we're forced to resort to fighting other people's personal demons on their behalf, and then told they are far too powerful and cannot be killed without specially designed tools... it's like a bad JRPG, man.

The worse one for me is 'you and your friends' when that is trotted out the debate is well and truly over!

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 23-07-2018, 08:13 AM #132
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lers-prejudice

Old 23-07-2018, 08:15 AM #133
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
What was ‘the traveller thread’? I dont remember seeing that one either

Edit: i just skimmed through it. It was pretty sad. Its incredibly common here too.

The news story was that an elderly guy defends himself against two burglars.
People wanted to talk about the burglars being travellers instead.

Its sad. But unfortunately, its expected. You just know that if they were muslim, people would be slating islam, or if they were immigrants, people would be talking about the parliament laws on immigration.

Idk, i havent got a solution, just a complaint.

Last edited by Withano; 23-07-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 08:17 AM #134

I understand that people will never fully know the impact and reverberations of racism unless they or their ancestors have been been impacted but trotting out phrases such as "you're ignorant" etc will not change that. Instead of insulting members education is the way to go. I personally don't feel I have been discriminated against (even though I am a woman.....and ginger). Racism, sexism etc is still rife and does need clamping down on but it will never be fully eradicated if people cannot talk about it without being told to pipe down as they are ignorant
Old 23-07-2018, 08:35 AM #135
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I understand that people will never fully know the impact and reverberations of racism unless they or their ancestors have been been impacted but trotting out phrases such as "you're ignorant" etc will not change that. Instead of insulting members education is the way to go. I personally don't feel I have been discriminated against (even though I am a woman.....and ginger). Racism, sexism etc is still rife and does need clamping down on but it will never be fully eradicated if people cannot talk about it without being told to pipe down as they are ignorant
Ordinarily Id agree, but some conversations here have been similar to

Black people were slaves
So? Women are sold as slaves all the time, why dont you care about sexism

Education will help, true, but I don’t think Redway labelling a person like that as ‘ignorant’ is particularly unhelpful. It is ignorant, and it’s important that people know this, it would be more helpful if they were told why, agreed.

For some reason, people have been competitive with their own discrimination instead of empathetic to others, and thats pretty sad and ugly.
Old 23-07-2018, 09:04 AM #136
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
What was ‘the traveller thread’? I dont remember seeing that one either

Edit: i just skimmed through it. It was pretty sad. Its incredibly common here too.

The news story was that an elderly guy defends himself against two burglars.
People wanted to talk about the burglars being travellers instead.

Its sad. But unfortunately, its expected. You just know that if they were muslim, people would be slating islam, or if they were immigrants, people would be talking about the parliament laws on immigration.

Idk, i havent got a solution, just a complaint.
Incorrect, many of the people who chose to uphold the stereotypes on that thread would meltdown if such stereotypes were applied to Asians or Blacks

Old 23-07-2018, 09:05 AM #137
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ordinarily Id agree, but some conversations here have been similar to

Black people were slaves
So? Women are sold as slaves all the time, why dont you care about sexism

Education will help, true, but I don’t think Redway labelling a person like that as ‘ignorant’ is particularly unhelpful. It is ignorant, and it’s important that people know this, it would be more helpful if they were told why, agreed.

For some reason, people have been competitive with their own discrimination instead of empathetic to others, and thats pretty sad and ugly.
Yes that's a very good point, I have been guilty of doing that myself in the past but I realise now that it's not helpful at all to do this in discussions and topics never get discussed properly when people do it.

However this thread is slightly different as it's actually asking the question to people if they have ever been discriminated against so it kind of invites people to talk about all kinds of discrimination, surely?

**Full disclosure I haven't read much of the thread yet so I'm not sure exactly how the conversation got to where it did

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:06 AM #138
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Incorrect, many of the people who chose to uphold the stereotypes on that thread would meltdown if such stereotypes were applied to Asians or Blacks
...well, i guess we learned that its not always the same people then, but it does just always happen - bashing a group because of individuals is just something that tibb does constantly.
Old 23-07-2018, 09:08 AM #139
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
...well, i guess we learned that its not always the same people then, but it does just always happen - bashing a group because of individuals is just something that tibb does constantly.
It's a good thread so kudos to you for that.

Old 23-07-2018, 09:37 AM #140
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
in the 90s after an IRA bomb went off in London, walked into work and one of my colleagues intimated that I should feel ashamed, I told him I had suspended my membership of the IRA so he had nothing to worry about

I think everyone suffers discrimination at some point in their lives, same with bullying it happens to everyone its how you deal with it or let it affect your life that counts
Anyway in answer to the question in the OP

I don't think I've ever actually experienced discrimination but I would have had some stuff similar to this happen also when I was living in London in the 90's. I remember a guy telling me he doesn't like Irish people one night when i was out which I found hilarious as he was saying this to me while drinking in an Irish bar But nothing serious just a few nasty comments from stupid people

I've definitely experienced sexism but I wouldn't say discrimination really as a woman, in the sense of losing opportunities I'd gone for or anything like that. That's not to say discrimination towards women doesn't happen at all in the west because I firmly believe it does, for a start it happens almost everytime a woman is raped or sexually assaulted

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 23-07-2018, 10:11 AM #141
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
I don’t think you people know the impact of what you’ve said about black slavery/racism. You’ve well and truly crossed your boundaries on this thread but you don’t care do you. It’s all about point-scoring and minimising serious issues as far as you and a few other members on this thread are concerned.
With all due respect Redway, you've spent the entire thread telling people that because they're not part of your group they couldn't possibly understand discrimination you've faced which is fair enough on the one hand but you've also told another group (LGBT) that the discrimination they've faced isn't in the same league as yours......... isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-07-2018, 10:15 AM #142
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Anyway in answer to the question in the OP

I don't think I've ever actually experienced discrimination but I would have had some stuff similar to this happen also when I was living in London in the 90's. I remember a guy telling me he doesn't like Irish people one night when i was out which I found hilarious as he was saying this to me while drinking in an Irish bar But nothing serious just a few nasty comments from stupid people

I've definitely experienced sexism but I wouldn't say discrimination really as a woman, in the sense of losing opportunities I'd gone for or anything like that. That's not to say discrimination towards women doesn't happen at all in the west because I firmly believe it does, for a start it happens almost everytime a woman is raped or sexually assaulted

Nasty comments is one thing, intimating that every Irish person is a member of the IRA is much the same as people equating all Muslims to terrorists now, for every one person that thinks that way there are 10 people who don't so I think we have to take the positives, and not always dwell on the negatives

Old 23-07-2018, 10:18 AM #143

Quote:
With all due respect Redway, you've spent the entire thread telling people that because they're not part of your group they couldn't possibly understand discrimination you've faced which is fair enough on the one hand but you've also told another group (LGBT) that the discrimination they've faced isn't in the same league as yours......... isn't that a bit hypocritical?
And are you saying it’s right for black slavery to be trivialised because the same thing happened to the Scottish at one point?

These people don’t see themselves as unfairly disadvantaged because they’re Scottish. They’re perfectly happy to make light of how slavery affects people of colour today to prove a daft point about white men being victims too. And that is ignorant. I’m being as nice as I can but plenty of people in this thread have crossed their limits with things they obviously don’t know anything about. Whether they know they’ve stepped over the limit or are deliberately taking the piss is their business but there’s no other word for it than ignorance is there. Especially when some people on here don’t even want to know that they might not know the impact of what they’ve been saying on this thread.

I love how people are quick to jump on me for calling people ignorant when it’s pretty true in response to this thread. These are probably the same people who wouldn’t see anything wrong with touching a black girl’s hair and honestly wouldn’t see what was wrong in it. These are the same people that laugh at issues like racism and it’s nothing less than what I’ve called it.

That LGBT comment was in response to another person trying to minimalise racism by pointing out the obvious that LGBT people get discriminated against too.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 23-07-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:20 AM #144
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Nasty comments is one thing, intimating that every Irish person is a member of the IRA is much the same as people equating all Muslims to terrorists now, for every one person that thinks that way there are 10 people who don't so I think we have to take the positives, and not always dwell on the negatives
Oh yeah 100%

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-07-2018, 10:25 AM #145
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
And are you saying it’s right for black slavery to be trivialised because the same thing happened to the Scottish at one point?

These people don’t see themselves as unfairly disadvantaged because they’re Scottish. They’re perfectly happy to make light of how slavery affects people of colour today to prove a daft point about white men being victims too. And that is ignorant. I’m being as nice as I can but plenty of people in this thread have crossed their limits with things they obviously don’t know anything about. Whether they know they’ve stepped over the limit or are deliberately taking the piss is their business but there’s no other word for it than ignorance is there. Especially when some people on here don’t even want to know that they might not know the impact of what they’ve been saying on this thread.

That LGBT comment was in response to another person trying to minimalise racism by pointing out the obvious that LGBT people get discriminated against too.
I haven't mentioned a single thing about Scottish slavery so I'm not sure why you're directing that question at me?
I'm not being drawn into an argument with you about stuff I haven't even said.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-07-2018, 10:30 AM #146

Quote:
I haven't mentioned a single thing about Scottish slavery so I'm not sure why you're directing that question at me?
I'm not being drawn into an argument with you about stuff I haven't even said.
I wasn’t talking about you though was I. I’m talking about other people on this thread so you can see that particular LGBT comment in the context of other people being minimalistic about other forms of discrimination in the first place.

I’ve stayed calm for the most part where other people would’ve flipped when it comes to discussing black issues with people who aren’t willing to understand. Like I say those people are the same ones who wouldn’t see an issue touching a black girl’s hair. These are the same people who actually respond with joker smilies when someone’s talking about serious issues which still affect people of colour to this day.

Like I say I’m open to discussing these things with people who are willing to understand but the people those posts were directed at aren’t. And they’re happy to minimalise someone else’s experience to bolster some weird kind of pseudo-racist agenda. But it’s cool. Those particular people obviously don’t know any better so I’ve stayed cool for the most part.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 23-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 23-07-2018, 10:43 AM #147
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I wasn’t talking about you though was I. I’m talking about other people on this thread so you can see that particular LGBT comment in the context of other people being minimalistic about other forms of discrimination in the first place.

I’ve stayed calm for the most part where other people would’ve flipped when it comes to discussing black issues with people who aren’t willing to understand. Like I say those people are the same ones who wouldn’t see an issue touching a black girl’s hair. Like I say I’m open to discussing these things with people who are willing to understand but the people those posts were directed at aren’t. And they’re happy to minimalise someone else’s experience to bolster some weird kind of pseudo-racist agenda. But it’s cool. Those particular people obviously don’t know any better so I’ve stayed cool for the most part.
All I'm saying is, it's a bit unfair to minimalise LGBT peoples experiences to make yours sound worse, like what Withano said as if it's a competition, it isn't, this thread is about all types of discrimination, so all types are being discussed, it's not one of those threads that's about racism and everyone piles in about other types of discrimination to try and minimalise racism, specifically racism towards black people which does happen alot, I agree with you there.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-07-2018, 10:55 AM #148
-

-

Quote:

I’ve stayed calm for the most part where other people would’ve flipped when it comes to discussing black issues with people who aren’t willing to understand. Like I say those people are the same ones who wouldn’t see an issue touching a black girl’s hair. These are the same people who actually respond with joker smilies when someone’s talking about serious issues which still affect people of colour to this day.

Like I say I’m open to discussing these things with people who are willing to understand but the people those posts were directed at aren’t. And they’re happy to minimalise someone else’s experience to bolster some weird kind of pseudo-racist agenda. But it’s cool. Those particular people obviously don’t know any better so I’ve stayed cool for the most part.
You haven't stayed cool at all. Honestly, I get that this is a deeply affecting issue for you and that you have a lot of anger surrounding it, but frankly, the hostility forcefulness in the way you talk about it makes people less likely to listen to you... not more likely. Which will likely be met with a "you can't understand" type comment, and no I can't understand how it affects you personally, but I do know that there are many, many black people who debate / discuss / examine race issues respectfully and academically without resorting to aggressive language and (to be blunt) thinly veiled keyboard-threats.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 23-07-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:04 AM #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
You haven't stayed cool at all. Honestly, I get that this is a deeply affecting issue for you and that you have a lot of anger surrounding it, but frankly, the hostility forcefulness in the way you talk about it makes people less likely to listen to you... not more likely. Which will likely be met with a "you can't understand" type comment, and no I can't understand how it affects you personally, but I do know that there are many, many black people who debate / discuss / examine race issues respectfully and academically without resorting to aggressive language and (to be blunt) thinly veiled keyboard-threats.
At least you admit that and that’s good enough for me. It’s comments like “slavery happened before your time so what have you got to moan about” that piss me off. I won’t back down in calling out people like that for what they are. They can pretend what I’m saying’s meaningless but for their sake I hope they don’t have these discussions with the wrong black person.

Old 23-07-2018, 11:44 AM #150

http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-po...t-you-20170921

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discriminated