Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #51
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

I depresses me that people don't see the long term strain on people's mental state during this..so if clapping gives people a moral boost I'm all for it..wether it be for the NHS or juset the confined householder then so what...it can only be seen as a positive thing...unless your heads buried in the sand.
__________________
____________

Last edited by parmnion; 27-03-2020 at 09:07 PM.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #52
Marsh.
Observer
 
Marsh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 76,013


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
You should be aware of the mental strain we are all feeling, last night's clapping was a great release for many thousand,(at minimum) of people.
I don't need to be clapping on my doorstep to be aware of any mental health struggles thanks Parm.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #53
Marsh.
Observer
 
Marsh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 76,013


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
I depresses me that people don't see the long term strain on people's mental state during this..so if clapping gives people a moral boost I'm all for it..wether it be for the NHS or juset the confined householder then so what...it can only be seen as a positive thing...unless your heads buried in the sand.
It depresses me when people use "clapping" as a means of popping themselves on a moral high ground and assuming things about other people and their mental health.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #54
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
I don't need to be clapping on my doorstep to be aware of any mental health struggles thanks Parm.
Some do though...and I bet it helped them.
__________________
____________
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:16 PM   #55
Marsh.
Observer
 
Marsh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 76,013


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Some do though...and I bet it helped them.
Some do what?

Need to clap to become aware that other people have struggles? That is depressing.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #56
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It depresses me when people use "clapping" as a means of popping themselves on a moral high ground and assuming things about other people and their mental health.
Im judging on my own..not yours..my own and how it cheered me up during very stressful times.


Why would I judge others??
__________________
____________

Last edited by parmnion; 27-03-2020 at 09:18 PM.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #57
Twosugars
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Isn't that what the NHS is all about?..."making people feel better"


So if clapping makes us feel better then surely clappers saving the NHS money. ..misery guts costing money in the future.
Yeah. Forget decent wages and right equipment, misery guts. Clapping should make nhs workers happy.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #58
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,966
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Im judging on my own..not yours..my own and how it cheered me up during very stressful times.


Why would I judge others??
So long as you're admitting that it was about giving yourself an outlet/release and not actually for the benefit of NHS workers, who are still being taken for granted and borderline abused up and down the country.

Tell you what's bad for mental health: community MH services being stripped down to the bare bones to provide more staffing in inpatient facilities in the name of battling Covid. Addicts being handed a week or more's worth of methodone to be taken unsupervised, without any contact from their MH team even by phone, who are likely to accidentally overdose and die right there in their living rooms. All of this being done because those services were already stretched to the limit by 10 years of deliberate NHS under-funding that the people clunking tupperware together on their balcony last night ****ing voted for.

Nah. Not sorry if those people are feeling guilty now that they've finally realised they'd be lost without health services. Not when I know they'll go right back to voting for more cuts as soon as this is over. **** them.
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #59
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

It made me feel good clapping thinking about our heroic NHS workers and seeing everyone else doing the same made me feel a bit safer inside.

Take your political rant into the main thread please toy soldier..thisis not the place for it, this is general chat.
__________________
____________
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #60
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,966
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
It made me feel good clapping thinking about our heroic NHS workers and seeing everyone else doing the same made me feel a bit safer inside.
Good for you Parmy. I can see you really care about them as individuals and people with real lives, and not just cannon fodder to man the walls so that you can sleep more soundly.
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #61
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Some do what?

Need to clap to become aware that other people have struggles? That is depressing.
No...some clap because they are struggling already..they clap because it makes them feel better..

So if they are allowed to clap it may be less of a strain on the NHS in the aftermath..but no..seemingly it's not a good idea as it makes people look like hypocrites to some, rather than the people letting out stress and anxiety that they actually are.
__________________
____________
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #62
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Good for you Parmy. I can see you really care about them as individuals and people with real lives, and not just cannon fodder to man the walls so that you can sleep more soundly.
You don't, nor will ever know my respect for our NHS and especially it's front line ambulance service so stop getting so personal...
__________________
____________
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #63
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Remember that thread you made asking people to pm you something about themselves toy soldier, and the only person that responded was me..


Try responding back and asking more if you ever make a thread like that again, you may then be able to try and judge people like you think you can..

Most loved....yeah..maybe at one point..
__________________
____________
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:40 PM   #64
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,966
Blog Entries: 1


Default

I'm not judging you specifically Parm, you didn't come up with the clapping as an idea. It just makes me very angry considering what has been done to our frontline healthcare workers in recent years... the whole situation at the moment - everyone suddenly realising how important this service is only NOW - is a slap in the face for the people in it.

Here's what I wish people would do instead of clapping at their door.

I wish people would quietly go to bed tonight, lie there for a little while, and really think about what healthcare workers and those close to them are going through. Don't think of them as stoic heroes striding into battle - think of them as people with families and lives of their own who are scared, confused, underpaid and completely unprepared for this because of years & years of neglect, underappreciation and being taken for granted... yet they're there doing the job anyway. Really give that some thought. It's not going to feel good, it's not going to make you feel safe, but it is far more respectful of those people.

And what I really wish is that when people do that, and really think and feel for those people, they then remember that night lying quietly thinking about this the next time they're in a voting booth.

People don't want to get political at the moment and that's fine. I just hope to god people at least remember it when things do get political again.
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again


Last edited by Toy Soldier; 27-03-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #65
Marsh.
Observer
 
Marsh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 76,013


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Im judging on my own..not yours..my own and how it cheered me up during very stressful times.


Why would I judge others??
You tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
I depresses me that people don't see the long term strain on people's mental state during this..so if clapping gives people a moral boost I'm all for it..wether it be for the NHS or juset the confined householder then so what...it can only be seen as a positive thing...unless your heads buried in the sand.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:15 PM   #66
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,658

Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East
The Circle 2018: Alex
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprimint View Post
I heard it outside thinking there was a party going on

I hope everyone was stood at least 2m away from each other
I bet some were silly and stood too close
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #67
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 43,554
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
I bet some were silly and stood too close
why would they do that, people stood outside their own house with their own family, there was no mingling
__________________
Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution

Albert Einstein
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:43 PM   #68
rusticgal
Senior Member
 
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,695
Default

Itís just a symbolic gesture ffs....it was meant to show thanks and respect. We all know that the NHS need support and deserve more pay etc but this was just in the moment...a time when we are all having to deal with something very serious and very surreal. Why people are making something more of it beats me..
rusticgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:52 PM   #69
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm not judging you specifically Parm, you didn't come up with the clapping as an idea. It just makes me very angry considering what has been done to our frontline healthcare workers in recent years... the whole situation at the moment - everyone suddenly realising how important this service is only NOW - is a slap in the face for the people in it.

Here's what I wish people would do instead of clapping at their door.

I wish people would quietly go to bed tonight, lie there for a little while, and really think about what healthcare workers and those close to them are going through. Don't think of them as stoic heroes striding into battle - think of them as people with families and lives of their own who are scared, confused, underpaid and completely unprepared for this because of years & years of neglect, underappreciation and being taken for granted... yet they're there doing the job anyway. Really give that some thought. It's not going to feel good, it's not going to make you feel safe, but it is far more respectful of those people.

And what I really wish is that when people do that, and really think and feel for those people, they then remember that night lying quietly thinking about this the next time they're in a voting booth.

People don't want to get political at the moment and that's fine. I just hope to god people at least remember it when things do get political again.
There is no year that has passed in which the NHS would have been prepared for this. .not one.

I appreciate your points though and understand your frustration.

I have been thinking a lot about those people though, and the supermarket workers, I have almost welled up in front of them thankning them as in pack my 2 bag of goods..and that's the truth. .

So last nights release was a culmination of all those thoughts you think in your most lonely moments...so for me it was a great release to stand and appreciate them in a unique way. .imo.it will help them in the long run regarding people's mental state after this.

So I don't think it deserves the ridicule it gets.

But I do understand your view completely, I just think it's slightly biased because many many people showing respect or letting out stress last night would not have been tory voters..my mum's street in scotland had someone playing bagpipes. ..and the snp ain't doing so well with the healthcare up there...but you don't here people moaning about doing it..nor others doing it.
__________________
____________
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:58 PM   #70
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

And it will have taught many many thousands of children a very valuable lesson for the future ...
__________________
____________
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #71
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,254


Default

Forget political views,

A footballer can earn in a week what a 100 nurses earn in a month.

We have created a world in which kicking a ball is of more value to the world than saving life’s.

The world is a very messed up place and it’s of our own making.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:11 AM   #72
Marsh.
Observer
 
Marsh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 76,013


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Forget political views,

A footballer can earn in a week what a 100 nurses earn in a month.

We have created a world in which kicking a ball is of more value to the world than saving lifeís.

The world is a very messed up place and itís of our own making.
You can't really "forget political views" when politics is the exact reason the NHS is in the state it is in.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #73
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,254


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
You can't really "forget political views" when politics is the exact reason the NHS is in the state it is in.
Has there only ever been one party in power.

Why didnít people vote for Corbyn and all the pledges he made to hand out money like it was going out of fashion?, because people didnít believe in him.

The whole world needs change the way it thinks, this virus should be the turning point for the human race.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #74
Marsh.
Observer
 
Marsh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 76,013


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Has there only ever been one party in power.
Nobody's said this but when people are discussing the state of our NHS it is going to be a heavily political discussion because it is steeped in it.

So asking to leave political views out of it doesn't make sense.

People can change the way they think, doesn't really change facts though.

Last edited by Marsh.; 28-03-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:26 AM   #75
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,587

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Forget political views,

A footballer can earn in a week what a 100 nurses earn in a month.

We have created a world in which kicking a ball is of more value to the world than saving lifeís.

The world is a very messed up place and itís of our own making.

Some say this is why this is happening, to change social order or something..
__________________
____________
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bell, clapped, hope, rang

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts