Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-06-2020, 01:46 PM #176
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BBCanada 9: Julie
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):

it's all showing isn't it

Old 28-06-2020, 01:46 PM #177
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Old 28-06-2020, 01:47 PM #178
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

What does that even mean?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 01:55 PM #179
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
So.… comparisons with Nazi Germany should just be sucked up? Because you think it unacademic, illogical and damaging.

It's funny to be how gentiles repeatedly tell me what I should be thinking in case I don't understand. Even more insulting.

You may wrongly think that making comparisons between Trump, who's probably finished after his Covid performance, and Hitler is perfectly acceptable. That's your prerogative. But please don't tell me that I'm wrong to disagree. Especially in light of your sig....a bunch of completely out of context Googled quotes from the man who saved this country from the Nazis. Also your prerogative...
I'm not telling you what to think or what your opinions should be - but you're not saying that you are insulted by it, or that you find it offensive, you're stating as fact that it IS inherently insulting and offensive in an attempt to shame people out of doing it. There's one person here trying to shut down opinion and dictate "appropriate conversation" Livia, and it certainly isn't me. I fully accept your right to find these comparisons and conversations difficult and offensive. I don't accept your attempts to shame other people out of having those conversations, and making those comparisons.

You also, presumably, know fine well that comparison and pointing out precedent in no way involves suggesting equivalency? That pointing out that there are valid comparisons to be made between current global politics and early-20th-century politics (which seems undeniable, to me) is not in the slightest the same thing as saying they're identical, nor is it an attempt to argue that Trump is identical to Hitler. The "comparison = equivalence" counter arguments are usually a strawman tactic employed by people who find the comparison confronting or uncomfortable.

I can compare apples to oranges, pears, plums, carrots, and small red family hatchbacks whilst acknowledging that none of them are the same thing.

You're in law. You understand that. You know that pointing out precedent in a previous case is not a claim that two cases are identical. Why do you keep pretending that you're mystified by the concept?

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 28-06-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 02:10 PM #180
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm not telling you what to think or what your opinions should be - but you're not saying that you are insulted by it, or that you find it offensive, you're stating as fact that it IS inherently insulting and offensive in an attempt to shame people out of doing it. There's one person here trying to shut down opinion and dictate "appropriate conversation" Livia, and it certainly isn't me. I fully accept your right to find these comparisons and conversations difficult and offensive. I don't accept your attempts to shame other people out of having those conversations, and making those comparisons.

You also, presumably, know fine well that comparison and pointing out precedent in no way involves suggesting equivalency? That pointing out that there are valid comparisons to be made between current global politics and early-20th-century politics (which seems undeniable, to me) is not in the slightest the same thing as saying they're identical, nor is it an attempt to argue that Trump is identical to Hitler. The "comparison = equivalence" counter arguments are usually a strawman tactic employed by people who find the comparison confronting or uncomfortable.

I can compare apples to oranges, pears, plums, carrots, and small red family hatchbacks whilst acknowledging that none of them are the same thing.

You're in law. You understand that. You know that pointing out precedent in a previous case is not a claim that two cases are identical.
Why do you keep pretending that you're mystified by the concept?

Patronising.

You don't need a Jew in these threads, especially not one who's connected with Israel in any way. It just spoils the party.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 02:15 PM #181
-

-

Quote:
Patronising.

You don't need a Jew in these threads, especially not one who's connected with Israel in any way. It just spoils the party.
You not wanting to have a discussion because you either don't have a response, or most likely just can't be bothered, doesn't make me patronising. It's fine that you don't want a discussion. You could just say so.
Old 28-06-2020, 02:31 PM #182
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Crazy
you are deluded
He's either trolling or doesn't know any better, no-one could reasonably think the two men are comparable, stop getting your knickers in a twist

Quote:
Anyone who knows anything about German history, not just WW2/Hitler but the class divides and rising tensions that lead into both WW's, can make clear and distinct comparisons to the current class war (and it is primarily a class war, not a race war) that has been bubbling up in the US (and in slightly different ways, the UK) in recent years. The comparisons are there to be made. Not to the war and Nazi rule itself, but to the socioeconomic conditions that people with other agendas exploited in order to gain positions of power and influence, and encourage the compliance, that made those atrocities possible.
Hm, if class strife was present in both world wars and the current day, maybe it's just a crappy part of society which has been there for a long time, and doesn't seem to be going away any time soon?

People with power have always exploited it, and those being exploited have always resented it. I don't know when or if that'll change, but it doesn't mean modern day America (or UK) is similar to ore-WW2 Germany

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 02:35 PM #183
Banned

Banned

The only people trying to make out that comparing Trump's administration to the rise of the Nazis is a bad thing are the Trump supporters themselves.

You can cry all you want but the comparisons are there, Trump has been making plays from the Fascist playbook since the start.

Last edited by Tom4784; 28-06-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 04:01 PM #184
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
He's either trolling or doesn't know any better, no-one could reasonably think the two men are comparable, stop getting your knickers in a twist
Again confusing comparable with equatable. Any two figures are comparable. As a comparison would involve noting how two things are dissimilar, as well as similar. You can compare a tangerine to the sun, if you want. One is hotter than the other. One is bigger than the other. They're both round, they're both orange. Yes you could point out that these are understatements, but they are nonetheless comparisons. You could point out that the sun isn't actually orange, that's a misunderstanding. All part of the debate.

Quote:
Hm, if class strife was present in both world wars and the current day, maybe it's just a crappy part of society which has been there for a long time, and doesn't seem to be going away any time soon?

People with power have always exploited it, and those being exploited have always resented it. I don't know when or if that'll change, but it doesn't mean modern day America (or UK) is similar to ore-WW2 Germany
Trump has utilised the division to gain a passionate following, and there are some worrying trends in the way he's trying to control the democratic process, media, and that following's anger to further his own prejudices. There are obvious differences in scope, too. I'd argue that some of that is more to do with his ability to push for his darker impulses. Thus far the US system has held up in many ways.

All of which would be an interesting discussion and comparison, but that's automatically "not OK" apparently. I get it when it's a lazy comparison, but it also invalidates a discussion that's worth having.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 28-06-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 28-06-2020, 04:47 PM #185
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Trump has utilised the division to gain a passionate following, and there are some worrying trends in the way he's trying to control the democratic process, media, and that following's anger to further his own prejudices. There are obvious differences in scope, too. I'd argue that some of that is more to do with his ability to push for his darker impulses. Thus far the US system has held up in many ways.

All of which would be an interesting discussion and comparison, but that's automatically "not OK" apparently. I get it when it's a lazy comparison, but it also invalidates a discussion that's worth having.
I agree there's a discussion to be had, but it often just boils down to "he's a racist with concentration camps!!111" and it ends there, and if that's the depth of the argument it's a bit silly. But when it comes to things like his attempts to manipulate the media and widen existing societal divides, that's more worth it.

I'm wary of giving him too much credit, like how much of it is on purpose, and how much of it either cleverer people behind the scenes pulling the strings, or simply hollow bluster which people can get attached to?

Old 28-06-2020, 04:49 PM #186

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Bayleigh
Survivor 40: Parvati

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Bayleigh
Survivor 40: Parvati

Trump is very Hitleresque and the sooner he meets the same demise, the better!
Jigs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 04:54 PM #187
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I agree there's a discussion to be had, but it often just boils down to "he's a racist with concentration camps!!111" and it ends there, and if that's the depth of the argument it's a bit silly. But when it comes to things like his attempts to manipulate the media and widen existing societal divides, that's more worth it.

I'm wary of giving him too much credit, like how much of it is on purpose, and how much of it either cleverer people behind the scenes pulling the strings, or simply hollow bluster which people can get attached to?
"Comparing Trump to Hitler is giving him too much credit" isn't quite what I meant, btw

Old 28-06-2020, 05:03 PM #188
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar

Old 28-06-2020, 05:12 PM #189
-

-

Quote:

That part I agree on, Trump is more of a lightning rod for a certain mindset than a mastermind who is manipulating that mindset in any sort of organised way. He is capitalising on it in broad, obvious strokes.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 28-06-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 28-06-2020, 05:38 PM #190
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Trump doesn't believe in anything other than himself, he doesn't have any political motives other than to feather his own nest
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:58 PM #191
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Trump doesn't believe in anything other than himself, he doesn't have any political motives other than to feather his own nest
Maybe but that doesn't make him any less worrying. He knows why he was elected, he knows what his support base wants to see, and he has no moral objection to giving it to them.
Old 28-06-2020, 06:02 PM #192
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Quote:

Trumps former Chief of Staff John Kelly was a retired four star General in the US Marine Corp. Many thought he'd bring disicipline to the white House. We now know even he failed to bring any kind of order to Trumps world. Trump works on his own instincts and not much els. Considering how poorly informed he is its makes him even scarier. Trumps only puppet master is Putin, there are no cleverer people pulling the strings.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 08:00 PM #193
another vice

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Louis Walsh
BB2023: Jordan
another vice

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Louis Walsh
BB2023: Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyWins View Post
caprimint is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 08:56 PM #194
You know my methods

You know my methods

Donald represents the fact that certain small section of society are following a pov that no one supports or votes for

They keep losing and they are angry

They are violent, they are dangerous but they are a clang in an empty pot

We all have to listen but we don't really have to worry to much..

He doesnt
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:00 PM #195
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Donald represents the fact that certain small section of society are following a pov that no one supports or votes for

They keep losing and they are angry

They are violent, they are dangerous but they are a clang in an empty pot

We all have to listen but we don't really have to worry to much..

He doesnt
naive, yet apt of you to think that the way Trump operates doesn't effect trans lives, black lives or immigrants lives and that they don't have to worry

Last edited by Moniqua; 28-06-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Moniqua is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:03 PM #196

Favourites (more):
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

awwwww was poor Trump upset.
I guess the truth hurts

Last edited by GoldHeart; 28-06-2020 at 09:04 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:09 PM #197

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I blame the education system for comments like this.
Well I blame the lack of intelligence and racism for Trump being in power in the first place

Last edited by GoldHeart; 28-06-2020 at 09:09 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:16 PM #198
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniqua View Post
they are the same.
Have you been missing your history lessons over lockdown?

New Love Island least faves: Kaz, Tyler, Faye, Sharon, Rachel

Sig images and links removed for rule breaking - TiBB Staff

Last edited by DouglasS; 28-06-2020 at 09:16 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:18 PM #199
You know my methods

You know my methods

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniqua View Post
naive, yet apt of you to think that the way Trump operates doesn't effect trans lives, black lives or immigrants lives and that they don't have to worry
He is,a president of 300 million

Not 1500
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 10:17 PM #200
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):