Notices

Chat and Games Looking for forum games, and completely off topic banter - this is your place! (includes Virtual Big Brother type forum games)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 12:26 AM   #26
rusticgal
Senior Member
 
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,387


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
The difference is that award shows like the MOBOs were created to honour and celebrate creations by people who were often overlooked and weren’t respected because of their race, white people and their creations have never had to face that.

These projections of ‘you wouldn’t like it if it was whites only!’ are very correct, but that’s because white only things would be born out of ignorance and racism, rather than being born from a desire to be properly recognised for a change.
I see your point to some extent...but I don’t believe that black music was not celebrated because white people didn’t respect black music because of lack of respect of their race. This country imo has embraced black music and is now prominent in the music industry.
However relating to this thread...there really is no need for Black pound day. It’s unnecessary and imo just antagonise integration.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 03:20 AM   #27
Brother Leon
Senior Member
 
Brother Leon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 29,194


Default

It’s just ONE day of recognition and appreciation for a strongly under represented community of business. Some really don’t want to see Black people prosper huh?
__________________


Last edited by Brother Leon; 28-06-2020 at 03:21 AM.
Brother Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 03:26 AM   #28
caprimint
another vice
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Posts: 7,614

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Nicole F
Survivor 40: Adam
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BB19: Lewis G
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
It’s just ONE day of recognition and appreciation for a strongly under represented community of business. Some really don’t want to see Black people prosper huh?
That's not it though, it's just completely pointless
caprimint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:53 AM   #29
user17866
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 57,452


Default

...I really feel Leon’s frustration/deflation......it’s meant to be something positive and uplifting and a boost for black owned businesses in a way that enhances inclusivity, not creates diversity...for people to share positive experiences of their ‘black pound investment’...there is very much a point of that at a time when the black community has felt such a low ...this is one thing that is being hoped to help counter that...the ‘black pound’ has surely always supported the ‘white pound’ and always will ...this is just occasional days for us to channel some of that support to boost black businesses as well...
user17866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #30
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 126,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
It’s just ONE day of recognition and appreciation for a strongly under represented community of business. Some really don’t want to see Black people prosper huh?


No I would buy from Black Owned Business
Quality Goods
are Worthy
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 06:08 AM   #31
user17866
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 57,452


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
No I would buy from Black Owned Business
Quality Goods
are Worthy
..Arista....
user17866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #32
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52,444
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
did they have a similar tweet for black male owned businesses as this womans app identifies black females owners only

I cant help but think this is a bit of a knee jerk reaction that has been poorly thought through?

Ireland created a buy Irish campaign back in the 80s under the GI (Guaranteed Irish logo), its been a great success and is inclusive, if I want to buy something I have never gone out of my way to know the ownership or who is on the board of directors, I buy it if I need it not because the owner is a certain race

GUARANTEED IRISH As one of Ireland’s most enduring and recognisable symbols, Guaranteed Irish helps consumers identify products and services which are #AllTogetherBetter choices for Irish communities. We’re supported by 1,200+ homegrown and international #SuperBrands and businesses across Ireland.
__________________

Last edited by Cherie; 28-06-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #33
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52,444
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Ridiculous comment...
Most of us know that is not what you meant Rusti
__________________
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 03:25 PM   #34
Brother Leon
Senior Member
 
Brother Leon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 29,194


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Ridiculous comment...
It’s not at all.

“All Lives Matter”

“Defund the Police LOL”

“Rioters are destroying the whole cause”

“What’s the point of celebrating black business. It just creates tensions and a split nation”



It’s just endless bull**** excuse upon a excuse to try and put down anything related to Equality and fair representation to Black people.

If you really think one day where we can uplift and celebrate Black Business is creating a split amongst people and so unfair, when we live in a country that’s voted for Brexit and a Government that has promoted exactly that then I don’t even know where to begin.

It’s a positive day where we can promote and push ourselves up so we can shine and yet some want to still try and twist it into a negative. . Maybe just admit to yourselves that you are much happier with the status quo and be done with it.


And that doesn’t go just to you. It goes to anyone that keeps coming up with these sort of comments all the time.
__________________


Last edited by Brother Leon; 28-06-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Brother Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #35
DigitalSid
Senior Member
 
DigitalSid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,149


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
....what does this achieve?....it creates segregation.
It allows Karens and their boyfriends appease their white saviour complex. No one believes in white supremacy more than woke middle class liberals.

Last edited by DigitalSid; 28-06-2020 at 05:04 PM.
DigitalSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #36
Strictly Jake
Friends Dont Lie.
 
Strictly Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,534

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
Love Island 6: Siannise
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
X Factor Celebrity: V5


Default

Has anyone seen katie hopkins insta post about this

And all the comments on her insta posts(all her posts are pretty terrible)

She is a clear racist and so are most of her followers. I was actually quite ignorant to the fact that the UK isnt as racist as America but there is a lot of racism clearly

I actually liked katie hopkins when she was a housemate but I cant believe how disgusting she is. All attention seeking im sure
__________________
Strictly Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #37
rusticgal
Senior Member
 
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,387


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSid View Post
It allows Karens and their boyfriends appease their white saviour complex. No one believes in white supremacy more than woke middle class liberals.

What?...
rusticgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #38
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 11,473

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Jesus, who comes up with these things

It sounds like something Mrs Bucket would drag her long-suffering neighbour along to, and wander round loudly admiring her "Minority Made Produce" so everyone knows how accepting and worldly she is.
__________________

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #39
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 11,473

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
Just being able to walk down the street without being persecuted for being black or gay would be a better way to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Mocking the social anxieties of minorities is a great look guys
It's never once occurred to me to worry about being "persecuted" for being gay Because, as Cherie said, I don't live in the middle east.
__________________

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #40
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,575

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
It's never once occurred to me to worry about being "persecuted" for being gay Because, as Cherie said, I don't live in the middle east.
Well good for you
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #41
DigitalSid
Senior Member
 
DigitalSid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,149


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
It's never once occurred to me to worry about being "persecuted" for being gay Because, as Cherie said, I don't live in the middle east.
Mixed race rather than gay and the worst I've ever experienced is the occasional funny look from the odd meat-head.

Last edited by DigitalSid; 28-06-2020 at 07:44 PM.
DigitalSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #42
parmnion
User banned
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 34,138

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Nobody said thank you.


Cheers!!
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #43
LeatherTrumpet
He's done you again Steve
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 75,911


Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
It’s not at all.

“All Lives Matter”

“Defund the Police LOL”

“Rioters are destroying the whole cause”

“What’s the point of celebrating black business. It just creates tensions and a split nation”



It’s just endless bull**** excuse upon a excuse to try and put down anything related to Equality and fair representation to Black people.

If you really think one day where we can uplift and celebrate Black Business is creating a split amongst people and so unfair, when we live in a country that’s voted for Brexit and a Government that has promoted exactly that then I don’t even know where to begin.

It’s a positive day where we can promote and push ourselves up so we can shine and yet some want to still try and twist it into a negative. . Maybe just admit to yourselves that you are much happier with the status quo and be done with it.


And that doesn’t go just to you. It goes to anyone that keeps coming up with these sort of comments all the time.
Didn't you say that Corbyn was stitched up by the media only to see last week a Labour enquiry find it was poor policy and mismanagent?

Maybe you are also wrong here?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 02:23 AM   #44
Brother Leon
Senior Member
 
Brother Leon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 29,194


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Didn't you say that Corbyn was stitched up by the media only to see last week a Labour enquiry find it was poor policy and mismanagent?

Maybe you are also wrong here?
Not sure what that has to do with anything I just said....


But even then, anyone can see the clear media agenda that was against Corbyn throughout his leadership. That doesn’t necessarily have to be the only reason for his defeat though you know..
__________________

Brother Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 02:31 AM   #45
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80,033


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Sorry...but what difference does that make?
The fact you need to ask this question speaks volumes. Don't mock something you clearly don't understand.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #46
Mystic Mock
Blues 28th best team.
 
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 46,797
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
X Factor Celebrity: Jenny Ryan
Strictly 2019: Will Bayley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
That makes more sense than where my mind went to.
__________________
KRO!

Tony Harrington you seriously need to go to Specsavers.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #47
Mystic Mock
Blues 28th best team.
 
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 46,797
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
X Factor Celebrity: Jenny Ryan
Strictly 2019: Will Bayley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
It’s not at all.

“All Lives Matter”

“Defund the Police LOL”

“Rioters are destroying the whole cause”

“What’s the point of celebrating black business. It just creates tensions and a split nation”



It’s just endless bull**** excuse upon a excuse to try and put down anything related to Equality and fair representation to Black people.

If you really think one day where we can uplift and celebrate Black Business is creating a split amongst people and so unfair, when we live in a country that’s voted for Brexit and a Government that has promoted exactly that then I don’t even know where to begin.

It’s a positive day where we can promote and push ourselves up so we can shine and yet some want to still try and twist it into a negative. . Maybe just admit to yourselves that you are much happier with the status quo and be done with it.


And that doesn’t go just to you. It goes to anyone that keeps coming up with these sort of comments all the time.
I get what you're saying Brother Leon, but the only thing I do agree with the other side of the debate on is that rioters will harm the Black Lives Matter movement as the victims and their families will probably tarnish the group to all be the same.

Personally on this particular issue I don't get why people are so bothered about black businesses being promoted for one day as a special occasion?
__________________
KRO!

Tony Harrington you seriously need to go to Specsavers.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #48
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 11,473

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSid View Post
Mixed race rather than gay and the worst I've ever experienced is the occasional funny look from the odd meat-head.
Yeah, the world some people seem to live in where minorities need to keep one eye open all the time doesn't really match reality.
__________________

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #49
Toy Soldier
We had it coming
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 28,117
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Yeah, the world some people seem to live in where minorities need to keep one eye open all the time doesn't really match reality.
Honestly I think you're wrong or maybe just haven't experienced it Oliver. One of my best friends has been with his partner for 10+ years, married for 3 years, and of course the fact that they can get married is brilliant and makes us lightyears ahead of other parts of the world.

There are still "parts of Glasgow where they can freely hold hands, and parts of Glasgow where they can't". The city they've lived in since they met. I still find this one of the saddest things I can imagine. I've (obviously) never had to think twice about absent-mindedly taking my wife's hand in public and can't even imagine it.

One of the only physical fights I've been in in my life (which is less than 10 even in the school yard, and only two as an adult) was with people who were harassing him because he's gay.

It's very clearly still a real thing in this country. We can acknowledge that things are MUCH better than in some countries whilst still admitting that there are massive problems. In fact you can't even ignore the global situation when there are married couples in the UK who have to carefully research where they travel abroad based on whether or not they could be imprisoned or worse for sharing a hotel room.
__________________
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #50
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,575

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Yeah, the world some people seem to live in where minorities need to keep one eye open all the time doesn't really match reality.
No, it doesn’t match your reality, if you’ve never experienced that anxiety, then like I said, good for you, well done, want a medal? It happens to people, people feel the anxiety, maybe you’re privileged to live somewhere nice and quiet where nobody bothers anyone, but out in the real world, it’s different, just because you’re lucky enough to have never felt it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
black, day, happy, pound, tibb

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:04 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts