Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 PM #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Well I dont really know who the foreigners are but generally they're here because we offer a better standard of living than their home countries, and a lot of this countries prosperity was built on the back of it's imperialism.
I know they are here because it is better standard of living here and that they would work for peanuts. They would do the jobs that most of us English people can't do. Like I said it was just 2 of the foreigners having a go at me. 1 of them looked at me like a piece of sh!t when I was in work last. But yes.. I don't mind the majority of them. I do treat people for the person who they are. Not what race they come from. I am just saying that I am a bit paranoid that it would only take the odd 1 or 2 foreigners to try and take over the country. Who are deluded because they hate the British White people. It's the same for British White people. Some of them are racists and don't give foreigners a chance. It works both ways. I don't agree with British white people who sponge off the system, don't work or even try to get work. (I know we are in hard times) and who keep having babies. However another reason some foreigners are in this country is also to sponge of the system. To get a council house and free stuff like this because they can't get it in their own country. When it comes down to it all. Yes. It is the government to blame. The government needs to start being more strict and stop handing out these free goods. When people who have to work.. or people who are trying to look for work and are just coping on JSA are the ones who have to pay the price!!
Beastie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 PM #127
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
I know they are here because it is better standard of living here and that they would work for peanuts. They would do the jobs that most of us English people can't do. Like I said it was just 2 of the foreigners having a go at me. 1 of them looked at me like a piece of sh!t when I was in work last. But yes.. I don't mind the majority of them. I do treat people for the person who they are. Not what race they come from. I am just saying that I am a bit paranoid that it would only take the odd 1 or 2 foreigners to try and take over the country. Who are deluded because they hate the British White people. It's the same for British White people. Some of them are racists and don't give foreigners a chance. It works both ways. I don't agree with British white people who sponge off the system, don't work or even try to get work. (I know we are in hard times) and who keep having babies. However another reason some foreigners are in this country is also to sponge of the system. To get a council house and free stuff like this because they can't get it in their own country. When it comes down to it all. Yes. It is the government to blame. The government needs to start being more strict and stop handing out these free goods. When people who have to work.. or people who are trying to look for work and are just coping on JSA are the ones who have to pay the price!!
Yeah fair enough, there's always going to be some bad apples in the basket, and that applies to Brits and immigrants. I agree that the welfare system is definitely to open to abuse as well.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 PM #128

Quote:
Yeah fair enough, there's always going to be some bad apples in the basket, and that applies to Brits and immigrants. I agree that the welfare system is definitely to open to abuse as well.
Yes it applies to everyone. Unfortunately for minions like myself we just have to get on with it. Anyway it is mainly the welfare system that is wrong with the country.
Old 13-01-2011, 03:21 PM #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
Which country would you emigrate to? the UK?
No. Spain, Italy (already been to both countries and I think they're great) or America.

Last edited by Vladimir; 13-01-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 12:49 AM #130
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Well I dont really know who the foreigners are but generally they're here because we offer a better standard of living than their home countries, and a lot of this countries prosperity was built on the back of it's imperialism.
Let's not forget that while the Empire took a lot from various countries, it gave a lot too, especially in the last half-century when people realised the mistakes of the past. India's infrastructure was built by the British, and Britain gave them a system of government. Ever since India gained independence in the forties we've been giving them aid. Millions every year... over a billion last year. At the same time, they have a fast-growing economy and they're developing their space programme, hoping to have a man in space within the next ten years. So why are we still sending them money when there are people in this country who are homeless and poor?

Furthermore, the Empire became the Commonwealth. If the Commonwealth smacks of imperialism and is not beneficial, how come Mozambique chooses to be a part of it when it was never a part of the Empire?

The vast majority of people in Britain never made a penny from the Empire, especially the working class. But when people come here for a better standard of living from places like India and Pakistan, almost without exception they are housed amongst the working class who have to listen to them moaning about how they were oppressed by the Empire while during that same period most working class Brits lived in squalor with no access to proper education or healthcare and almost no chance of bettering themselves.

Should Italy still be paying for the countries they invaded under their Roman Empire? How much more will Britain have to pay before people latch on to the fact that it happened generations ago yet we're still apologising for it?

Everyone should be rightly proud of their own country, without feeling the need to pick over the past of someone else's.

Last edited by Livia; 14-01-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 01:03 AM #131
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
No worries. I'll give plenty of examples...

Science, Technology, Medicine, Education, Art, Film, Music, Military, Literature, Agriculture....

Need i go on?

And on an interesting side-note to your statement, i believe that actually Canada has a larger shopping mall than any in America, so they did get us on ONE thing. LOL.
but kid vs kat,my goldfish is evil and johnny test are canadian productions and they beat most american shows imo.

I'm a sick bitch.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 12:01 PM #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedward fever View Post
but kid vs kat,my goldfish is evil and johnny test are canadian productions and they beat most american shows imo.

You might be right, i'm not 12, so i'm not up to date about what's HOT in the saturday morning cartoons department.
Old 14-01-2011, 12:25 PM #133
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Let's not forget that while the Empire took a lot from various countries, it gave a lot too, especially in the last half-century when people realised the mistakes of the past. India's infrastructure was built by the British, and Britain gave them a system of government. Ever since India gained independence in the forties we've been giving them aid. Millions every year... over a billion last year. At the same time, they have a fast-growing economy and they're developing their space programme, hoping to have a man in space within the next ten years. So why are we still sending them money when there are people in this country who are homeless and poor?

Furthermore, the Empire became the Commonwealth. If the Commonwealth smacks of imperialism and is not beneficial, how come Mozambique chooses to be a part of it when it was never a part of the Empire?

The vast majority of people in Britain never made a penny from the Empire, especially the working class. But when people come here for a better standard of living from places like India and Pakistan, almost without exception they are housed amongst the working class who have to listen to them moaning about how they were oppressed by the Empire while during that same period most working class Brits lived in squalor with no access to proper education or healthcare and almost no chance of bettering themselves.

Should Italy still be paying for the countries they invaded under their Roman Empire? How much more will Britain have to pay before people latch on to the fact that it happened generations ago yet we're still apologising for it?

Everyone should be rightly proud of their own country, without feeling the need to pick over the past of someone else's.
Oh yeah, the Empire did definitely do a lot of good in some respects, something that is often ignored today. But we still took over their countries, killed and manipulated a lot of their people and built prosperity off the back of it.

You're making a bit of a generalisation when you say they come over here moaning though, most of them don't.
Old 14-01-2011, 12:41 PM #134

Quote:
Oh yeah, the Empire did definitely do a lot of good in some respects, something that is often ignored today. But we still took over their countries, killed and manipulated a lot of their people and built prosperity off the back of it.

You're making a bit of a generalisation when you say they come over here moaning though, most of them don't.
This is what paranoies me a bit. What we did to other countries many years ago, them countries could do the same to us. A "payback". However 2 wrongs don't make a right. People need to get with the times.
Old 14-01-2011, 12:58 PM #135
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
This is what paranoies me a bit. What we did to other countries many years ago, them countries could do the same to us. A "payback". However 2 wrongs don't make a right. People need to get with the times.
I'd like to think it would never happen again, we've learnt the mistakes of history now and have moved on
Old 14-01-2011, 01:02 PM #136

Quote:
I'd like to think it would never happen again, we've learnt the mistakes of history now and have moved on
Hopefully.
Old 14-01-2011, 04:56 PM #137
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Quote:
You might be right, i'm not 12, so i'm not up to date about what's HOT in the saturday morning cartoons department.
Old 14-01-2011, 06:37 PM #138

As a multi cultural society Britain as Britain no longer has a culture identity.........Being patriotic is there for more and more unlikely as people revert to there own origins when it comes to loyalty.....
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 06:57 PM #139
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:

Yes, I see it looks like a generalisation. Obviously they don't all moan, but like everything, it's the ones that make the most fuss who get the most attention.

The prosperity benefited a minority of the British public. It's not like we're all living high on the hog because the century before last, we took India before France of Germany did.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 09:04 PM #140

Yes, the British empire did some good. There might be some people that would disagree, but they're already dead.

The best thing that can be said about the "british empire" is that it's finished.

I saw an episode of "who do you think you are?" recently, featured a woman who learned of how her family built their wealth on the slave trade.

While Britain had outlawed slavery on their own soil, didn't stop the British elite from still profiting from the slave trade in the carribean and south and north america.

I notice brit's love to mention slavery in reference to denigrating America, but who is really to blame? Follow the money.

Last edited by lostalex; 14-01-2011 at 09:09 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 01:34 AM #141

Captain AMERICA IS TOO HOT NOT TO BE PATRIOTIC.:....

Last edited by lostalex; 15-01-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 30-01-2011, 10:44 AM #142

Quote:
yes it was, and unlike the germans, which at least have a healthy respect for history, we do often see brits on not only this forum, but all over the internet, having reverence for their own attempt at genocide in the world, in fact the british colonial genocide against native americans, carribeans, south americans, australians, indians africans etc, is far worse than anything Hitler ever did against the homosexuals, disabled, and jews during the "holocaust".

Add then the slave trade they spread through the America's, and there's no comparison. Hitler wishes he could have inflicted so much suffering as british colonialism.
Oh, you're funny. So who are 'Americans' in the context of the bits in bold? i'm confused......................
I'd suggest a book to you - it's by a wonderful CANADIAN author, Lawrence Hill, entitled 'The Book of Negroes'. Fascinating insight into the role the withdrawing British played in removing slaves from the grasp of their 'American' slavemasters.
patsylimerick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:33 PM #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsylimerick View Post
Oh, you're funny. So who are 'Americans' in the context of the bits in bold? i'm confused......................
I'd suggest a book to you - it's by a wonderful CANADIAN author, Lawrence Hill, entitled 'The Book of Negroes'. Fascinating insight into the role the withdrawing British played in removing slaves from the grasp of their 'American' slavemasters.
and what year was that? Cause they had no problem hijacking American ships, and STEALING Americans, forcing them to enlist in the British Navy to figtht the French long after 1776. Maybe you should check out how the war of 1812 started.

Trying to portray the British as anti-slavery is like trying to portray the French as anti-cheese.

Last edited by lostalex; 31-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 31-01-2011, 02:49 PM #144

Quote:
and what year was that? Cause they had no problem hijacking American ships, and STEALING Americans, forcing them to enlist in the British Navy to figtht the French long after 1776. Maybe you should check out how the war of 1812 started.

Trying to portray the British as anti-slavery is like trying to portray the French as anti-cheese.
C'mere, I'm Irish, and EXTREMELY patriotic. I'm not trying to help the British out here, (I'd be disowned ) I'm just making the point that the 'Americans' were complicit in slavery. It's kind of like an argument on here elsewhere that's left me nearly without the will to live. Supply and demand, baby. Someone has to pay you for the slaves. I was just wondering, if you were going to use slavery and the near annihilation of Native American tribes as criticisms of the British - at what point you would consider these particular 'British' became 'American'.

Sorry, in answer to your question, between April and November 1783, the Book of Negroes was compiled as the British helped some 3,000 former slaves leave New York for Nova Scotia. It was a bit of a failed experiment, in many ways, but the intent was admirable in a skewed sort of way. It was in contravention of the peace treaty signed in Paris the year before and the American congress demanded the return by the British of all American property - including slaves.

Last edited by patsylimerick; 31-01-2011 at 02:57 PM.
patsylimerick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 AM #145

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Since when has "Patriotism" been a dirty word? Since it has been hijacked by the ivory towered minority as a derogatory term denoting "racism" in order to slap down any dissent. We are now in the invidious position in Britain where to be proud to be British is practically a criminal offence, whilst we are expected, no required, to celebrate, respect and promote the national identities of those who CHOOSE to come and settle here. Even the loony left have now admitted that multiculturalism does NOT work and WHY? Surprise, surprise - it's because the cultural practices and norms of the different nationalities jostling for scarce resources on our tiny island are often diametrically opposed and any possibility of integration is impossible. Immigrants to this country are positively discouraged from integration by the ridiculous laws that dismiss any signs of patriotism from the host nation as being racist or bigoted.

One example would be the rising tide of anti-semitism in this country against a Jewish community that have lived here for centuries and contributed much to our history and culture. How are their rights and freedoms to be protected against the anti-semitic views of recently arrived immigrants?
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 AM #146

Quote:
Captain AMERICA IS TOO HOT NOT TO BE PATRIOTIC.:....

Kinda Sad
that the Yanks are scared to now have a Capt America.
but then again
GW Bush Carpet Bombing in Iraq
that is Evil.

So maybe
re-name him Capt Evil -America
and be Honest.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 AM #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Kinda Sad
that the Yanks are scared to now have a Capt America.
but then again
GW Bush Carpet Bombing in Iraq
that is Evil.

So maybe
re-name him Capt Evil -America
and be Honest.
Evil? nah.... maybe captain NAUGHTY America though...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kerry~ View Post
Had I the money I'd not leave England. Yes, I'd have retreats but I'd not leave on a permanent basis and yes I've mulled it over before. A year or two ago I was actually given the chance of a home/job/set up in Canada with my family but we turned it down.
Turning down a home in Canada, would be like turning down a big mac at a 4 star french restaurant. It's a no-brainer.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
No I really dislike Wales and can't wait to move to another country. That's not to say it's a terrible country because it's not but I couldn't live my whole life here. The scenery here is good, there are lots of nice places to visit but it's not for me.

I hate to break the news to you, but Wales isn't a country. You live in the The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That is your country.

Does Wales have a seat at the UN? NOPE. not a country.

Last edited by lostalex; 03-02-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 PM #150
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
I hate to break the news to you, but Wales isn't a country. You live in the The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That is your country.

Does Wales have a seat at the UN? NOPE. not a country.

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
patriotism