Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 30-12-2020, 05:43 AM #1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Default Name 10 good things about 2020

Obviously it's been one of the - if not THE - worst years of our lifetimes, but there may have been some highlights buried in all of the death, disease and destruction. Go for anything you're comfortable mentioning, whether it's personal or just stuff from the news and arts.

Oh and don't pick arguments about whether or not these were good things for you. Just ignore it and share your own, if you have anything positive to contribute.

I'll kick off...

1) Trump lost
Pretty self-explanatory. I went into this year under the safe assumption that Trump would get re-elected because the Democratic convention was a complete mess. Did the right candidate get picked? Absolutely not... but it restored a little sanity to the world seeing that despot kicked out of office

2) Black Lives Matter took centre stage
Did it actually achieve anything? Perhaps not in the short term. It's never really ideal to say that the US being on the verge of a civil war is a 'good thing' but prior to 2020 I'd never really felt like there was anything meaningful about the word 'change' when it came to racial politics (excuse the Obama shade)... it's a maelstrom of different desires under the umbrella "BLM" but the majority of them are fervent and necessary, and hopefully that snowballs over the coming years rather than fizzling out until the next police brutality.

3) Community spirit
More of a vague point but I'd become something of a hermit in my hometown and didn't really care about interacting with people before the virus took hold... but there was something genuinely uplifting about taking part in Thursday pots-and-pans-bangings and businesses both big and small giving freebies and rewards to essential workers. Similarly, local Facebook groups are usually full of moaning and bickering, but became a focal point for charity and communal help.

4) One of the best ever Taskmasters
Despite the lack of a studio audience to react to the comedy, these 5 really kept me entertained this autumn/winter

5) It's...nearly over
I'm struggling for ten, okay?

6) The return of good pop!
The tail-end of the 2010s were really a death for pop music. Trap seeped into everything I held dear, and turned burgeoning careers like Ariana Grande, Zara Larsson and Nicki Minaj into releasing the same **** under a different name. On the flipside, others like Sia, P!nk and Kelly Clarkson just gave up and put out limp, wet ballads for an eternity. Step forward 2020, and genuinely good pop releases from Gaga, Rina Sawayama, Jessie Ware, Charli XCX, Dua Lipa, The Weeknd, Kiesza, Roisin Murphy, Kylie Minogue, Chloe x Halle and Miley Cyrus made the whole year more bearable and escapable.

7) Drag Race Season 12
It may have been overshadowed by the virus, the Sherry Pie scandal, and being immediately followed by All Stars, but what a bloody season In future years we should look back on this as one of the best (I'd definitely put it in my top five, along with 10, 4, 3, 6 and 2). That premiere episode was the best the show's ever had, and culminated in this jaw-dropping lipsync.

8) Parasite became the first foreign winner of Best Picture
Not hugely important, but showed signs that Hollywood is actually starting to become aware of other cultures. And other genres than "another bloody war film" and "comic book villain gets an angsty backstory".

9) Bill Bailey winning Strictly
The show had been something of a showcase for struggling young popstars, wealthy YouTubers and actors with a background in dance to show off against the poor older celebrities with an actual name value in recent years, so it was a breath of fresh air for one of the most famous names in this year's lineup, and one of the oldest participants, to turn out to be a fantastic dancer and a worthy winner

10) Career-wise
I was stuck in a job that I had zero passion for and when they unceremoniously let me go at the start of the pandemic because they didn't want to wait for furlough payments (and wanted to rush us back into unsafe working environments, whilst car-pooling with people we didn't live with, lol) it gave me a boost I needed to try out for something else. It's... not been fruitful yet, but I definitely felt like I was in a rut for the past five years and taking various courses and classes has opened my eyes a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 06:08 AM #2
another vice

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Louis Walsh
BB2023: Jordan
another vice

Favourites (more):

Idk if I can come up with 10 but:

1. Making friends/chatting to new people (some of who I've become really close with).
2. Music - there has been so much good country music that's been released this year (and a lot of older stuff that I've discovered).
3. Spending more time with/interacting more with my parents.
4. Having covid as an excuse not to hang out with/go to people's houses.
5. Getting more ~self~ time.
6. Saving money.

Last edited by caprimint; 30-12-2020 at 12:30 PM.
caprimint is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 06:23 AM #3
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I’ll just add to mine as I go and in no particular order...

1. Realising ‘the stuff’ that wasn’t needed in life, the ‘non essential’ stuff that could finally be put into order...

2. Catching up with TV series/movies etc that somehow I could never catch up on...

3. Feeling the true value of online friendships when all friendships became more those in different virtual ways.../...there is no ‘just a forum’ with the life connections we make and the different forms they take...

4. Seeing the return of the pub quiz to TiBB...it might have gone a bit awry but I still loved the return...(...thank you, Smithy.....)...

5. The ‘returned members’ to TiBB, those who will stay and those just passing through etc...

6. The beginning of the vaccines, obviously...

7. All of Leslie Jordan’s lockdown Twitter feeds...

8. A wonderful wedding for Capt. Remy.....

9. Actually beginning to like and feel liberated with long, wild, crazy hair...

10. I think that it might have just been this year that I first had time to start catching up on Drag Race...so I’ll say, the discovery of that and the world of Drag and the gorgeous personalities of the ladies and community...

Last edited by Ammi; 30-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 06:28 AM #4
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Trump losing the election

Tom Moore

Harry and Meghan stepped down

Science saving our asses

The NHS

Cummings is out on his ass

Last edited by bitontheslide; 30-12-2020 at 06:30 AM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 06:34 AM #5

The Oxford vaccine being approved this morning has saved it for me. Amazing news.

I’m suddenly optimistic for the first time in, well, almost a year.

Here’s to the beginning of the road back to [somewhat] normality!

Last edited by LaLaLand; 30-12-2020 at 06:35 AM.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 06:36 AM #6

Honourable mention: DISCO returning to and taking over the charts thanks to the likes of Jessie Ware, Roisin Murphy, Kylie and Dua.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 06:44 AM #7
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

Liverpool won the League

Tiktok

So many artists finding huge success they probly wouldn't have had from Tiktok

The Black Race taking a stand

The obese terracotta turtle getting a reality check

Me finding independence the week before lockdown

Spanish dramas getting the credit they deserve on Netflix

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 06:53 AM #8
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
Liverpool won the League

Tiktok

So many artists finding huge success they probly wouldn't have had from Tiktok

The Black Race taking a stand

The obese terracotta turtle getting a reality check

Me finding independence the week before lockdown

Spanish dramas getting the credit they deserve on Netflix

...and getting through each day independently......
Old 30-12-2020, 07:08 AM #9
Nah

Nah

-I got married. We managed to do it between two lockdowns

-Trump lost. Now let the music play!

-BLM. It had to happen at some point.

-Charity surrounding covid-19 or 'community spirit". I enjoyed helping my oldest neighbours with their grocery shopping, or working with a local charity to cook food for poor people.

-Lockdown: I know that's a bit controversial to say so, but this year was going to be extremely busy and even though nice things were planned, it was a lot. I've been doing too many things for so many years, and this year has helped me calm down, take my time, stay home, prepare my wedding etc

-Not wearing any suits. And that my friends is so magical. I don't even do video meetings, only with the sound on

-No office secret santa or office summer parties or whatever bull$hit it is. I don't like those.

-I am the only one in my family and friends circle that got to celebrate a proper birthday back in January when I turned 30.
Since then, it's been awkward Skype parties.

-Rediscovering local places in my region and country. I like to travel far but travelling (or more like visiting) for a certain time in my own country has been nice too. My beautiful Provence where I live, but also Paris, Brittany etc

-And appreciating what I have in life. I thought 2020 was going to be a big milestone in my life where I got a lot of what I asked for. Now I know 2020 is the year I appreciate everything I have.
Old 30-12-2020, 07:35 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
-I got married. We managed to do it between two lockdowns

-Trump lost. Now let the music play!

-BLM. It had to happen at some point.

-Charity surrounding covid-19 or 'community spirit". I enjoyed helping my oldest neighbours with their grocery shopping, or working with a local charity to cook food for poor people.

-Lockdown: I know that's a bit controversial to say so, but this year was going to be extremely busy and even though nice things were planned, it was a lot. I've been doing too many things for so many years, and this year has helped me calm down, take my time, stay home, prepare my wedding etc

-Not wearing any suits. And that my friends is so magical. I don't even do video meetings, only with the sound on

-No office secret santa or office summer parties or whatever bull$hit it is. I don't like those.

-I am the only one in my family and friends circle that got to celebrate a proper birthday back in January when I turned 30.
Since then, it's been awkward Skype parties.

-Rediscovering local places in my region and country. I like to travel far but travelling (or more like visiting) for a certain time in my own country has been nice too. My beautiful Provence where I live, but also Paris, Brittany etc

-And appreciating what I have in life. I thought 2020 was going to be a big milestone in my life where I got a lot of what I asked for. Now I know 2020 is the year I appreciate everything I have.

I would struggle with 10 as I've hated this year but without it I would never have spent as much time with my son.....We've had fun and made lockdown memories including a time capsule for him to show his kids in years to come

Last edited by AnnieK; 30-12-2020 at 07:36 AM.
AnnieK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 08:31 AM #11
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post

I would struggle with 10 as I've hated this year but without it I would never have spent as much time with my son.....We've had fun and made lockdown memories including a time capsule for him to show his kids in years to come
Time with family, especially very close family, is always looked past because we all have busy lives and we take it for granted because it's "natural".
But in the end, it's quality time that is sometimes missing and I'm very happy for you for sharing these moments with your son. I know I have with my husband and my parents (when I could visit them, or even via Skype).
It doesn't always have to be something big, but small simple moments can change a lot, like taking your time to drink a cup of tea outside etc.
And that I appreciate a lot.

Last edited by Captain.Remy; 30-12-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 08:32 AM #12
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY

I think 2020 has been the worst in my 28 years so far.

Trump losing is certainly a World plus for me.

Making better time management is a personal plus for me too.
Rather than charging around like a lunatic most days re my work.

Already knowing it but seeing the intense dedication of the NHS and other Care staff.
Who I hope will but doubt will get the true recognition for their efforts they should.

The great neighbourhood coming together with those of all ages looking out for older neighbours, helping to ensure their safety.

The rush to find a vaccine for this virus and that already the hope is there an effective one has been found.

The CD released of the London revival of Mary Poppins released, which I was able to see before lockdown with my favourite true legend Petula Clark in it.

Getting the garden of my home exactly how I've always wanted to be.
With time to do it and even help some others with theirs.

Seeing the incredible results from one man's publicity of his efforts to raise funds for the NHS, Tom Moore.

At long last, even though left with a vastly inferior connection to before, that our government by Work events and domestic ones too has HAD to rule out any no deal scenario with the EU.
Because at this time, we definitely need to be pulling together not dividing further.

A mix of personal and other things I see as good about 2020

However and finally, the very best thing being.
That I was able to get my Mum here in the UK to my home for when lockdown came in March, from her new home in Co Mayo. Republic of Ireland.
While having to deal with intense hurt and grief and loss of special loved ones to this detestable virus.
I've been able to ensure her full protection and have endless other quality time with her, I have not had since before Uni days.
That has been the most special coming about of anything during 2020 for me.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 09:28 AM #13
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

1. Marcus Rashford fighting for free School meals for impoverished children
2. Dorohedoro - What an interesting Anime.
3. Made In Abyss: Dawn Of The Deep Soul
4. Donald Trump losing the US Election
5. Birmingham City beating Reading away from home when we were down to 10 men - Definitely our best moment of the season so far.
6. Getting into older TV Shows, Animes, and Video Games that I was never able to get into before because of doing other things such as going outside.
7. The Masked Singer
8. Bill Bailey winning SCD
9. We're not getting a No Deal Brexit
10. Being fortunate enough to be able to spend money at Christmas

Excluding the obvious for me such as family, pets, and friends.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 30-12-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 10:07 AM #14

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne

1. Having our third child!

2. Lockdown meaning I could spend time with them all

3. Being a cleaner- we have always been overlooked as a career but now finally people see how important our job is and I get loads of overtime at work now which means more money

4. Finally getting round to watching stranger things! Which I am now obsessed with

5. TV in general. There has been a lot of entertaining tv which is amazing given the restrictions they had to make it

6. Zoom(a hate for so many) but I have loved the various quizzes, music nights, pizza nights etc I have taken part in

7. Music, there have been a lot of stuff I have liked this year

8. Holiday, we actually managed to have our big family holiday in July. It couldnt have been timed any better. Any earlier or any later the restrictions would have been too tough

9. Enjoying nature. Remember how the first lockdown meant less pollution....we saw the stars, there were more animals to see...I have had loads of walks and stuff. Its been lovely

10. Nostalgia, I have spent a lot of time listening to throwback music, watching old tv I used to watch(eg I watched BB5 and BB8 during lockdown) its been good

Last edited by Strictly Jake; 30-12-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Strictly Jake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 10:53 AM #15
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

1. All four of us and the dog going on holiday, first time in a few years that we all got away together

2. Visiting a donkey sanctuary

3. People finally realising that ‘working from home’ means just that, no I am not watching tv and stuffing my face

4. Clearing out all my cupboards and feeling like I am organised

5. Saving money

6. Family avoiding Covid ..so far

7. Sitting in the sun and not rushing around in the summer

8. Capt Tom

9. Vaccines

10. Hope for 2021!

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 11:17 AM #16
Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

1. Actually relaxing for the first time in a long time. I’d honestly forgotten what relaxed felt like.

2. Taking time to have long showers/baths, or make myself look semi decent, just for me, not to be somewhere, or see people. And also looking like a homeless person 90% of the time was pretty liberating too

3. Friends rallying round as we were shielding, and going for shopping for us, or leaving surprise treats on our doorstep.

4. Teenage daughter, becoming like a new person.

5. Samuel remains well and healthy

6. Got to spend loads of time with our mew doggo friend.

7. Enjoying the gorgeous weather instead of being stuck at work and customers saying “you’re missing a gorgeous day out there”
We bought ourselves a swimming pool, had “cocktail of the week”, cut about in holiday clothes and kind of felt like we were on holiday.

8. Found out who/what is important in my life.

9. Enjoyed cooking for once as had plenty time to do it and try new things.

10. That ****ing idiot from across the pond being voted out 😃🥳
Old 30-12-2020, 12:01 PM #17
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

In no order.

1.Blm movement ( which really is a focus on police brutality)
Something that I hope isn't lost in controversy in 2021.
2. Captain tom and others, extraordinary people.
3. The NHS, will we remember their efforts and sacrifice?
4. Marcus Rashford, what a talented caring man.. a real hero and inspiration.
5. Keeping my mum safe
6. Leaving EU with a deal
7. Trump losing US election
8. The vaccines ( not the band but they are good too)
9. Appreciation (by most) of those still working, police/cleaners/ truckers.
10. Community/ family spirit and the pressure to get the homeless off the streets.

I hope all these are not forgotten or sidelined once we've all had our covid jab.

Last edited by Kizzy; 30-12-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 12:06 PM #18

Favourites (more):
BB10: Bea
BB7: Lea

Favourites (more):
BB10: Bea
BB7: Lea

I'm going to have to go into minor things, and I still might not get to ten but

Spending a lot of time with family in lockdown was nice.

I read a lot of books this year (due to lockdown) something I haven't really done since around 2009.

Christmas Day was a lot of fun and the best in a few years.

Some great music was released - most notably Fetch The Bolt Cutters which is an easy 10/10.

Summer, when restrictions were loosened, was quite fun.

I saw Slipknot, one of my favourite bands live back in January and it was one of the best nights of my life so far.

I had a nice two day break in Torquay with a friend and loved every second of it.

Black Lives Matter

I got a new job

Trump lost

Last edited by Daniel.; 30-12-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Daniel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 01:14 PM #19
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel. View Post
I'm going to have to go into minor things, and I still might not get to ten but

Spending a lot of time with family in lockdown was nice.

I read a lot of books this year (due to lockdown) something I haven't really done since around 2009.

Christmas Day was a lot of fun and the best in a few years.

Some great music was released - most notably Fetch The Bolt Cutters which is an easy 10/10.

Summer, when restrictions were loosened, was quite fun.

I saw Slipknot, one of my favourite bands live back in January and it was one of the best nights of my life so far.

I had a nice two day break in Torquay with a friend and loved every second of it.

Black Lives Matter

I got a new job

Trump lost

....congratulations on your new job, Daniel......
Old 30-12-2020, 01:21 PM #20
another vice

Favourites (more):
another vice

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
....congratulations on your new job, Daniel......
Don't bother Ammi he'll have another bloody new one in March
caprimint is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 09:13 PM #21

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

I can't think of 10 at the moment but ...

1. Trump losing is definitely up there

2. Giovanna winning IAC as the first Queen of the castle

3. Various cool new music hits from Gaga ,The Weeknd etc

4. Christmas telly viewing
Old 30-12-2020, 11:49 PM #22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:57 AM #23

The things I enjoyed in 2020 were, in no particular order:

I got engaged (even though it was just a few days ago)

The amazing black lives matter movement

Excellent music releases

Making a lot of new Irish friends to connect with

I've had my depression and anxiety a bit more under control this year, ironically

Masks - I love them

Christmas, it was a small affair but one of the best

Bigots, racists and transphobes are being called out more than ever

My mam finally moved to an accessible house in a nice area
Old 31-12-2020, 10:02 AM #24
IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica. View Post
The things I enjoyed in 2020 were, in no particular order:

I got engaged (even though it was just a few days ago)

The amazing black lives matter movement

Excellent music releases

Making a lot of new Irish friends to connect with

I've had my depression and anxiety a bit more under control this year, ironically

Masks - I love them

Christmas, it was a small affair but one of the best

Bigots, racists and transphobes are being called out more than ever

My mam finally moved to an accessible house in a nice area
Congratulations on your engagement Jess. May you be eternally blessed and happy. Xx

Kate! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 10:57 AM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate! View Post
Congratulations on your engagement Jess. May you be eternally blessed and happy. Xx
Thank you, I am so very happy! Happy new year to you!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
10, 2020, good, things